Random thoughts, musing and aggravations

Started by Shecky, 17 December 2014, 03:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Quote from: Shecky on 17 December 2014, 03:27:10 AM
2. I hate painting Prussian flags because I can't paint a straight line and I can't paint circles. Other than that I have no problems with them
Get yourself a computer drawing package - Serif Draw-Plus is cheap and easy to learn - you won't have to worry about drawing straight lines then.

8. I'll never complete my project
9. I've never completed any project
That's the beauty of wargaming, there's always something left to do or paint. It's kept me going for forty-odd years.

10. I still have ACW to paint before I "officially" start my SYW project.

You wouldn't be a wargamer if you didn't have a lead mountain. It's part of the job-spec.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

SV52

How true, how true.

And who can forget the famous 'stuck the flags on upside down and didn't notice until some smart ass pointed it out'.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Hertsblue on 17 December 2014, 11:24:02 AM
Get yourself a computer drawing package - Serif Draw-Plus is cheap and easy to learn - you won't have to worry about drawing straight lines then.
Unfortunately, a computer won't be enough for Pendraken's SYW Prussian infantry - you'll need a robot because the flags are molded on!  #-o (hence Dour Puritan's recommendation for the generic standard bearers with pole.) The SYW Prussian and Austrian cavalry standard bearers also have molded on flags. I came up with my own solution for the Prussian infantry before the generic standard bearers were released but, like Shecky, absolutely hated painting those damned birds!  ~X(

P.S. Nice blog by the way, Ray.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Fenton

Quote from: Westmarcher on 17 December 2014, 12:57:19 PM
Unfortunately, a computer won't be enough for Pendraken's SYW Prussian infantry - you'll need a robot because the flags are molded on! 
P.S. Nice blog by the way, Ray.  :-bd

Sadly this is why I abandoned my SYW project
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

There are generic standard bearers with bare flagpoles which take the baccus flags very well:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Those look damn fine, DP.  :-bd
Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

A very fine array of soldiers, DP!  8)
That's the way to base Pendraken SYW infantry - in close order!  =D>

[But I would say that because its very similar to if not exactly the way I base my own Pendraken SYW infantry, even down to the 2 standards - I've never seen anyone else base theirs the same way as me - but I lead sheltered life!.  1 inch square or 30mm square bases?]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Those are 1'' or 25mm square bases. Got a Black Powder game with them tonight. I agree that packing line troops of this period on to a base looks good, but it does get expensive, i.e. a four base unit is an entire pack of 30 Pendraken figures. Incidentally, the musketeer units behind and beyond are Old Glory, which also have a bare flagpole on the command strip. Old Glory come in strips of five figures in line, each strip being 25mm wide, so I mount two strips one behind the other on a base.

Hertsblue

That's interesting, DP. My WSS Old Glory figures (admittedly fairly old) have cast-on flags, which I hate. I do think that the flags make your units, though. And the provision of two flags per battalion is spot-on.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

I'll take some photos of tonight's battle and post tomorrow. Odd that the Pendraken SYW Austrian infantry don't have cast flags.

Leman

As promised, last night's battle starting with a general view of the club, the game being to the right:

A view of the Prussian set up at the start:

The Austrian army prior to set up:

The Prussian artillery seized the only high ground in this marshy, wooded area:

Photobucket very slow today so will post this and finish off this evening.

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner