Reporting in from Shetland.

Started by mikeyboy, 06 December 2014, 05:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Ah! My mistake.

Welcome to the forum.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Maenoferren

Quote from: fsn on 07 December 2014, 10:26:14 AM
Welcome Mr Boy.

I'm blaed to ken dee. Qware's du fae? I bide Sooth now, but cam fae da Brig o'Waas.

Dere's sum unken folk hereabooot. 
I lived out in Sandness...but another soothmoother  :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

mikeyboy

I married into the Islands. My wife originally came from Fetlar. We moved up about 10 years ago so my son would know all of his huge Shetland family.

Orcs

Welcome Mikeyboy.

If your not mad now - you soon will be  :)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mikeyboy

My God I have just suddenly remembered my password! Well my initial attempts with 10mm didn't go so well. I painted some Sudan Egyptians but really struggled. I now have new specs so willing to try again.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

You forgot the password ......

Mikeyboy. Catch a grip!  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

d_Guy

Missed the first round, mickeyboy. As the only member NOT from Shetland (apparently), welcome to the forum.
The 10's need to be very secure on their painting sticks - the little buggers'll move on ya! Constant yelling also helps and just the
right facial contortion (you may need to try several).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

Aye, aye.

I've been painting th 10mm for 4 years now. Not done any that would get into the 2nd round of the painting competition. Though maybe ... this time ...

Who am I kidding? I can barely see the end of my brush, let alone the buttons on cuffs.

Keep at it. Post some pictures so we can laugh sympathise comment supportively.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Mikey.....

Everyone else will groan, as I've mentioned this so many times before  :-[.....But if you struggle doing the close up work, when painting the wee men, think about getting yourself an Optivisor or something similar.

I know quite a few of the gang here use a type of this 'bit of kit'....and I certainly would struggle enormously if I didn't use mine, when I'm sculpting the little chaps.

Hope that might help.

Cheers - Phil.

Ithoriel

Welcome back!

Copydex, tongue depressors and Rolson's version of the Optivisor ... not sure I could paint without them these days.

Copydex gives a nice firm bond between figure and wooden surface of the tongue depressor (aka painting stick) but figures and glue can be easily peeled off once you're done.

I think the Rolson cost me twelve quid plus postage from EBay or Amazon - money well spent.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DFlynSqrl

Quote from: Ithoriel on 27 February 2017, 01:50:46 PM
Copydex gives a nice firm bond between figure and wooden surface of the tongue depressor (aka painting stick) but figures and glue can be easily peeled off once you're done.

Good to know.  I'll have to see if I can find some.  Getting the little figures off the paint stick is always a battle in itself.