Yet another basing query...

Started by Capt Sensible, 26 November 2014, 03:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Sensible

'Afternoon chaps,

A happy little event occurred in my household this morning: the arrival of a hefty package from Pendraken, stuffed full of Ottoman Turks.

As a returner to wargaming after a gap of 20 something years, I'm amazed at the variety of kit available these days. However, this does leave me in something of a quandry: what type of base to use for my lovely new toys?

I would prefer to use relatively thin bases with magnetic sheet. 2mm MDF plus stick on sheet looks too 'chunky' for me. I have seen mdf/magnetic bases advertised but this range does not cover the FoGR sizes I want to use: http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/Deluxe_Magnetic_Bases

Has anybody tried using those teeny-tiny disc magnets?

Would I be better off cutting 1mm plasticard to size and using magnetic sheet stuck on the base?

Any other suggestions?

I would be grateful for any advice you can offer.

CS

''No more curried eggs for me!''

Leman

The problem with very thin basing is warping, and this is even more likely with plastic vis-a-vis MDF. Best plastic bases I've come across are those supplied by Peter Pig, but the sizes are very limited, and they are 2mm.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

26 November 2014, 04:58:09 PM #2 Last Edit: 26 November 2014, 05:04:45 PM by Fenton
I have had 1mm lasercut ply from Litko, 60x30 and its never warped

Litko do prebacked magnetic bases  as well

The only problem unless your in USA the last time I ordered I got stung for import charges
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

......and very thin bases are difficult to pick up unless you have little, dainty elfin hands.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Capt Sensible

Thanks for your advice, chaps. I'm inclined toward pre-cut MDF with added magnetic tape but I won't buy anything until I'm ready to base the first batch. It may that I will come roud to the idea of thicker bases as I do not have elfin digits  ;)

CS

fred.

If you want thin bases then steel is a very good option - I too have used precision Wargame supllies.

You can then magnetise your storage box.

You can use newer 'copper' coins if you need round bases as they are steel cored.

I looked at the pre-magentesed MDF bases recently, but they are a lot more expensive than buying the MDF bases and the magnetic sheet - but you do have the fairly easy job of sticking the magnetic sheet on the bases

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

You also asked about small rare earth magnets - these aren't great for basing as they are quite thick. So you have to drill into the base and then often disguise the magnet on the top side.

They are strong - I have used then occasionally for holding sabot bases on.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Capt Sensible

WeeWars

I use self-adhesive steel sheet under my MDF bases. Adds no visible difference to the base thickness:

www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809blogpost164.htm

And easy cut to any size. I even cut circles with a rotary cutter. Always 1mm back from the edge of the base to keep the white sheet hidden.

I prefer 3mm MDF because I want gamers to pick up my minis by their bases not by my paintwork and modelling.

I stick self-adhesive magnetic strip to carrying cases. This can be as super strong as you desire.

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Capt Sensible

Thanks WW, I like your lateral thinking - thin sheet metal under the bases and magnets in the storage boxes!

CS

Westmarcher

I once used postcard with a magnetised strip attached (I was kind of forced into this because the so called 6mm figures I ordered were more '10mm' so I needed to use a thinner base to try to compensate for the thicker bases used for the rest of my collection). Yes, at first glance, this is not a rigid solution. However, as I prefer to Milliput my bases so that the base of the actual casting blends in with the base and does not stand out, when I applied the Milliput and this dried I then had a rigid base. And because the base was magnetised, and I had placed the base on a flat metal surface, the Milliputted base had dried perfectly flat. Only problem with the postcard is that its flexibility was a real nuisance when applying the Milliput but I wonder if the plastic card option would solve that (you can also attach a magnetised strip to steel strips - I have done that and so, know that is also a solution). 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Capt Sensible

Heedless Horseman

Not what you are asking about, but I have experimented with 25mm figures, putting magnets in holes in both the figure and mdf bases to allow 'old style' figure removal. Those thin (3mm) rare earth magnets are strong enough to keep a 25mm fig loosely in place during a game but not really for storage transport. A LOT of bother trying to keep polarity constant with multiple bases though! lol.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Capt Sensible

Thanks for that, HH.

After footling around with bits of card and a copy of the FoGR rules I think I might be looking next at Impetus-Baroque. The reveiws suggest it is a bit simpler and genuinely 'fast-play', which is what I'm looking for. Another plus is the large bases and smaller number of figures needed - anything that gets an army painted and on the table quickly has to be good!

CS