French Foreign Legion in Estonia, Fight 2

Started by bigjackmac, 23 November 2014, 12:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

August 11, 1993: Major Louis-Louis called Captain LaPieux into his command post: "Captain, we believe the Sirellists (rebels, named after their commander Colonel Sirel) are encamped northeast of Talinn, in some very rough ground, very swampy.  I need you to conduct a route reconnaissance, and secure for the task force a means through the marshes.  Take a look at the map.  You'll see here (pointing to the map) is probably the most likely spot, with a semi-improved road crossing two fords through the marsh, as well as a railroad line on a raised embankment with its own bridge.  Take your task force and secure our route through the marshes!"  "Oui, Major."

At approximately 1530 local time the company task force approached the grid coordinates, comprised of two infantry platoons in armored personnel carriers, a platoon of light tanks (Panhards with 90mm guns), and an HQ section of the Captain, 1st Sgt, Medical Orderly, RTO, and an 81mm mortar section in Land Rovers.

The table is 3' x 3', top is east and is the 'bad guy' baseline, bottom is west and is the 'good guy' baseline.'  You can see the road leading right through the two fords, the railroad on the left, and a small hamlet in the center.  The 'rivers' are actually streams which can be crossed by infantry (at a small penalty) but not vehicles, which must use the fords or the railroad bridge.

The French force, commanded by Captain LaPieux.  Only one carrier platoon will be represented on the table top as three of the infantry teams were ordered dismounted as the task force neared the objective area.

The Sirellist force, with a platoon of T-72s, two platoons of BMPs, and six rifle teams, four of which have RPGs.

It was great fight, this time with extra close combat ;)

So stop on by the blog to see how it turned out:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2014/11/ffl-in-estonia-fight-2.html

On a side note, if you've been paying attention here you've probably noticed I've been anguishing about an Imagi-Nation-type situation to serve as a background for another campaign in which I'll bust out my 6mm and 20mm forces.  I'm starting to think it will spring from this campaign; the French are here to protect the liberal government from regressive, Soviet/Russian leaning forces.  I'm thinking that Poland, Estonia, and Latvia begin banding together as a means to stave off Russia (whom they know will return to power at some point in the future) as well as the Sirellists.  So my Legionnaires come in, do their job, and leave, and NATO begins pumping arms and equipment into Poland, Estonia, and Latvia, but the Sirellists become stronger and stronger, until ultimately a 'civil' war erupts.  Voila, a decent amount of land to work with, and WarPac and NATO equipment on both sides, with qualitatively similar forces.  Pretty clever, no?

V/R,
Jack

Techno

:-bd
Stroll on....That's a report and a half, Jack.
I shall return, and have a more comprehensive read later.
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Very cool report Jack.
Was slightly worried as I stared reading it that a consolidated push by tanks supported by bmps at a certain point on the table would be devastating, but sine they were spread our and arrived piecemeal, itvmorevofba bloodbath.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Subedai

Great write up, clear pics and some interesting ideas. What rules are you using or did I miss that bit?
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

bigjackmac

Phil - Thanks for taking a look, sorry for writing a damn novel!  But it was a helluva fight!

Lemmey - Yes Sir, of course I split the enemy armor up, it might be a real sort campaign otherwise  ;)

Ronan - Glad to see you buddy!  Hope you liked it, and I'll have to get you into the roster too. Hope you're able to get some gaming in soon!

Subedai - Thank you Sir!  I'm using Ivan Sorenson's rules, "No End In Sight," slightly modified.  There's nothing wrong with the rules, I just have to modify everything ;)

I got another game in today, and I'll post it as soon as I can.

V/R,
Jack