15mm Dungeons

Started by G-wiz, 19 November 2014, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-wiz

Here's a project I've been working on over the last few months. I've recently got into collecting/gaming with 15mm and 10mm fantasy figures instead of the more common 28mm. I know there are the hirsts molds and other companys making the dungeons for these size of figures but there is a lack of any for the scale of mini's I use. One exception that I know of is the Pendraken 10mm dungeons, (which are awesome).

So, on that note I decided to create my own, casting them a hard plaster.

They are all used with just three different tiles:

After casting a load and painting them up, here's what I came up with:

Using just the three tiles I can create loads of different configurations. I've kept all the pieces as individual tiles but it is possible to create corridor/room sections by glueing them onto a piece of card/foamboard, etc.
I've created doors too to stand up but I may go back and redo them as they were originally created for a fully walled dungeon which I started but put on the back burner. Here's a few pics of it:

I wasn't quite happy with these so opted for the more user friendly 2.5D pieces. One of the problems is the figures are so small it's quite fiddly moving them into and around the dungeon. Also, because of the way I designed each piece, it didn't quite look right.

I'm planning on expanding the dungeon and creating specific quest room tiles, and anything else I can think of. I may also go into selling these as packs of starter dungeons but that's something to think about.
Any critisism is welcome, enjoy.

Maenoferren

I am a Hirst arts user :) :D but am wanting to do some of my own stuff
I do like the smaller wall one for the size of figure. For my Hirst dungens etc I went  for 3 blocks high which worked for 28mm figures.

If I could make a suggestion it would be to do a 4 square and 2 square clear block this allows you to do larger rooms with less casting of the individual tiles. out of interest what did you use as a mould?
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

G-wiz

I made the moulds myself with rtv silicone. I bought a mould from ebay that had blank squares and blocks and crafted them into the dungeon pieces. None of the tile are stuck down or attached to each other. I can make whatever configuration room/corridor/junction I need. I'm hoping to make and advanced heroquest tile set to go with the figures I've got, should be pretty cool.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Good job.....and welcome to the forum, 'G'.
Cheers - Phil

paulr

Welcome, an interesting set up.  :)

A couple of thoughts, from someone who doesn't play in dungeons :
- Adding extra versions of each of the three basic tile shapes would add some extra visual variety, e.g. have three different floor tiles with different patterns of cracks
- Do you need some way of keeping the tiles in place?  Perhaps a frame that they fit in? Or perhaps a board with holes in that a smaller square on the bottom of the tile fits into...

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

G-wiz

There are a few varieties of tiles but the three I put up were just an example of the three basic designs. I think there are four or five of each tile that are individual. I'll be making rooms/corridors/junctions etc and mounting them on card in the future.

WeeWars

Great work!

I used magnets and steel sheet to keep 'rooms' together.

You'll soon be adding stairs and trapdoors and collapsed walls and ...  :D
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: WeeWars on 20 November 2014, 01:07:37 AM
I used magnets and steel sheet to keep 'rooms' together.

I should have thought of that, much better than my suggestion ;) Magnetic paper or similar on the underside of the tiles and lay out on a steel sheet
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jchaos79

WeeWars

Quote from: paulr on 20 November 2014, 03:51:36 AM
Magnetic paper or similar on the underside of the tiles and lay out on a steel sheet

I was lucky enough to to acquire a box of painted black steel photographic sheets. Just the right size to make up rooms in advance of play.

G-wiz

Thanks for the feedback guys, it all helps for future development. I'm busy working on making the doors which i'll put up for you to see when there done. I've also made my first "Quest" room. Basically a 3x3 tile set with a specific desing carved in, something a little out of the norm. Just got to paint it up and i'll post that too.
I looked at the magnetic sheets. There a great idea and i'll be looking into it further, a bit pricey though.

WeeWars

Gary,

You can buy 5m of 12mm self-adhesive magnetic strip for £4.28 (inc p+p) on eBay. Cut into 12mm squares, should do for many a dungeon. For larger rooms, all you need is a square on each corner.

Cheers, Michael

sixsideddice

Hmm, those are rather nice :)))

G-wiz

Well, finally produced another tile set for the dungeon. I've thought about using a 3 x 3 square set for with various designs to be used as quest or feature rooms. Nothing special to start with, just a standard pentagram until I can think of more designs. I've included an eldritch statue and a 10mm wizard in the picture.

sorry for the blurry pic, didn't notice them until I'd put everything away. Think it turned out pretty good. The shape is carved into the tiles and then each tile is indivdually cast, joined together then painted. This gives me option to create puzzle tiles if I ever use them. I painted the pentagram with white and a little flourescent pigment followed with green ink and pigment so that it glows in the dark. With it being a magical symbol I thought it was a pretty cool idea.