small army co-operation aircraft

Started by Sunray, 06 August 2010, 11:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I have just built and painted the Storch kit.  What a neat little model it is.  Can I make a request for a wider range of such reccy/laision aircraft ?

Most of these are small and provide the essential air element in the WW II and beyond bush wars.  I was thinking of ;
Cessna  L 19 Bird Dog, Auster 9,and Westland Lysander and...the post war De Havland Beaver and BA Bulldog. ...Not to mention appeal to N gauge buffs.

Many of these have COIN potential - like the Saab Minicons used in Nigerian Civil War

Leon

I've added those.  We're looking at increasing our plane ranges at some point soon, but I'm not sure whether we'll be looking post-WW2.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

WW2 types would be great .  also some bombs and rockets in 10mm scale ?

Leon

Quote from: Sunray on 14 August 2010, 12:12:37 PM
also some bombs and rockets in 10mm scale ?

Anything in particular in mind?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

Working on this ( 10mm) scale, it would probally be best to cast the 'hard point' or pylon to the stores.
Useful common or garden ordinance would include rocket pods and small bombs- (like 100kg).
The rocket pods woulld also have application to Vietnam where the UH-1C 'Huey' was often deployed as a 'gunship'. 

In post WW2 bush wars this type of 'light' aircraft were often bombed up for COIN duties.

Frankly ANY underwing ordinance would be much appreciated.

Leon

Quote from: Sunray on 14 August 2010, 08:44:46 PM
Working on this ( 10mm) scale, it would probally be best to cast the 'hard point' or pylon to the stores.
Useful common or garden ordinance would include rocket pods and small bombs- (like 100kg).
The rocket pods woulld also have application to Vietnam where the UH-1C 'Huey' was often deployed as a 'gunship'. 

In post WW2 bush wars this type of 'light' aircraft were often bombed up for COIN duties.

Frankly ANY underwing ordinance would be much appreciated.

Cheers for the info, I'll make a note of that.

Sunray

Thank you for this.

If it is any use as a reference, I also game in 1/300 and find the Skyraider range of bombs and rockets very useful to arm small aircraft.    Even the humble Birddog carried smoke rockets in Korea and Nam.

As late as the 1990s Balkans,  Serb light 'Cessna types'  carried bombs and rockets.

As I stated in  the wish list earlier, an Allied companion to the Storch - like the Piper L4 Grasshopper,Stinson Sentinel,  the Italian Saiman 202 or the post war Auster would have many table uses and appeal to the N gauge railway men. 

I know, we post-WW2 bush wargamers are a pain, but its amazing what you can do with Vietman figures and a paint job!

nikharwood

Quote from: Sunray on 15 August 2010, 10:01:53 PM
I know, we post-WW2 bush wargamers are a pain, but its amazing what you can do with Vietman figures and a paint job!

I still keep meaning to build a nice SADF force using the Aussie Vietnam range...might 'bump' up the list...

Sunray

Yes, the Aussi infantry have a lot of bush war potential.  I dream about a Ratel or even a Saracen in 10mm.
but being realistic in terms of what is marketable to cast, I would settle for a couple of light aircraft at this stage.
In 15mm Peter Pig have got it right in terms of  generic types " beret, SLR, professional'  etc that can be painted to represent a legion of 1960s to late1980s troops.   

Sunray

Out of the thread on 20th Cent Civvie Vehicles, I was pointed by Raider 4 to N gauge site www.gemmodels.co.uk   - they have both Auster and Percival Proctor on their list at £3.70/£3.95.   Also a Tiger Moth . Very useful.

nikharwood

That's a gem of a link there Sunray - I think you might have meant this one:

http://www.gemmodelrailways.co.uk/GEM_Web_Site/N_Gauge_Accessories.html

Nowhere near as pretty, though  8)

Sunray

Indeed ! Lets put this down to a typo - they do trade under 'Gem' - as opposed to a  Freudian slip induced by inhalation of superglue!