Help me make a decision about a new project

Started by lentulus, 06 August 2010, 02:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

06 August 2010, 02:32:31 AM Last Edit: 06 August 2010, 02:34:04 AM by lentulus
A bit of grist for the decision making mill, please ladies and gentlemen.

I'm wrestling with a decision, and maybe you could provide some input to help me make it.  Rest assured I am not asking you if I should buy more Pendraken figures or not - that would be like asking the guys at the tavern if I should have another beer.

But here's the choice.  I have a pretty solid little not-Seven Years Wars army.  It is large enough, when the next order is in and fielded, to play some fairly large games.  No army is every finished -- I could use some more fortress guns to man a very nice fortification I was given for example.  And I still have no figures for a peasant militia (I was thinking of some of the FIW figures for that).  So I could keep ordering to that project.

OTOH: I have an idea for a not-exactly-18th Century Turkish army to do "colonials" with.  I see the heart of colonial warfare as discipline against enthusiasm (I love the title "Science vs. Pluck" but I will probably actually us Black Powder).  

Pendraken does not have exactly an 18th Century Balkans" line so it would not be exactly historical.  It would have an somewhat mixed look, using a core of figures from the Renaissance Turks but also lots of figures from various colonial lines, cannons from the ECW line, that sort of thing.  Maybe a few elephants or maybe a war-rhino if I depart controlled flight.

This is not an "end" to the SYW project, but a complementary force to fight the same troops (at least for now).

So, gents, advise me.  How would you untie this little Gordian knot?  No, not just by ordering both.  I order figures about as fast as I can paint so there would be no point.

Nosher

One can never have too many plates spinning - Pick No2 My Lord!

;) :D ;D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

republic of tolworth

Oh no2 without any doubt!

For a number of reasons.
1)I have been looking down the same road for Not Turkish and Not India forces for a while, I'll let you be the guinea pig for me :P

2)It may influence to get some none European figs for the 18th C made.

3) It's a good idea.

4) I've always found it's nice to flit between 2 projects to stop the painting bordom kick in and gives a break from each other.

5) It's still a good idea :D
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Steve J

Go Turkish and agree with Republic of Tolworths point about being to move from one project to another.

Sandinista

Go Turkish, remember East is your friend  ;)

May encourage "the powers that be" to expand many ranges eastwards (especially 16th century) ;D

nikharwood

jchaos79

gaiseric

You've got to do the Turks. I've done 2 Turkish armies in the past - Renaissance Ottomans and Napoleonic.

I really enjoyed using them because of the variety of troop types - everything from armoured cavalry with lances to nutters with sword and loincloth. I even had bowmen in the Napoleonic Army.   :o

So, yeah, do the Turks - you know you want to.   8)

Last Hussar

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

lentulus