French Napoleonics, 1809

Started by Leon026, 13 November 2014, 05:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glorfindel

These are excellent, well done.   I've only joined the 10mm community a years or so ago
and found that its only when you start to paint them that you realise just how good the
figures are.

The only suggestion I would make is perhaps to separate the artillery and their limbers /
horses.   You can see what it looks like here (slightly earlier period but you get the idea) :

http://s761.photobucket.com/user/glorfindel-666/media/10mm%20Seven%20Years%20War/IMG_2688_zpswtgzvyyf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/glorfindel-666/media/10mm%20Seven%20Years%20War/IMG_2688_zpswtgzvyyf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=144204798304202604928638096413

Really impressed with your army - its growing very quickly.   Its always a nightmare when
you see well painted armies in a period you don't currently paint.   So tempting !

Anyway, keep up the good work and let us see any new units - they will always be
appreciated here.

Cheers

Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon026

Ah yes. I had thought about doing separate artillery and limbers, but I decided to them this way for a specific reason: to differentiate between horse and foot artillery. I found that horse and foot artillery, uniform wise are just too similar at the 10mm scale to really see them noticeable apart (other than the number of horses for the limbers, of course). Which is why I ended up putting the limbers directly on the horse artillery base so that it's impossible to mix up the foot artillery and horse artillery pieces. I think the foot artillery will eventually get their own limbers, but its not high on my priority list right now  :-[

Techno

Cracking job on those.  8)
Cheers - Phil

Glorfindel

>>to differentiate between horse and foot artillery

Thats a really good idea and makes perfect sense.   I'm just glad I don't have
to worry about that in earlier gaming periods.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Phil

petercooman

Quote from: Leon026 on 12 September 2015, 09:15:25 AM

And the test base for the unit, I started with the grenadier section just to see if it was worth pursuing the project. So far I'm happy with how it's turned out

May i ask who makes those bases?

Westmarcher

12 September 2015, 02:02:56 PM #81 Last Edit: 12 September 2015, 02:05:35 PM by Westmarcher
Quote from: Leon026 on 12 September 2015, 11:31:59 AM
Ah yes. I had thought about doing separate artillery and limbers, but I decided to them this way for a specific reason: to differentiate between horse and foot artillery. I

This is a perennial 'problem.' I've an idea. I wonder if the best way to differentiate between the two types is to place riderless horses and horse-holders on or alongside the horse artillery gun base. After all, both types of artillery have limbers but it is only with the horse artillery that the crews are mounted. Trouble is that cavalry horses and horse-holder minis are usually readily available in the likes of the ACW but not the Napoleonic Wars.

P.S. Would be interested to find out the answer to Peter's question also.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

petercooman

Quote from: Westmarcher on 12 September 2015, 02:02:56 PM
This is a perennial 'problem.' I've an idea. I wonder if the best way to differentiate between the two types is to place riderless horses and horse-holders on or alongside the horse artillery gun base. After all, both types of artillery have limbers but it is only with the horse artillery that the crews are mounted. Trouble is that cavalry horses and horse-holder minis are usually readily available in the likes of the ACW but not the Napoleonic Wars.

P.S. Would be interested to find out the answer to Peter's question also.

Maybe you can have a mounted officer on your horse artillery bases? That's easy recognisable and an easy fix!

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

Very impressive, definitely worth the time & effort
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Leon026

Quiet weekend has allowed me to finish the left-wing of the battalion (voltigeurs). I'm loving how the shako cords really stands out, but by god is it finicky! As much as I'd love to do an entire 32-man battalion with them... not sure I could stomach it. Perhaps just the grenadier maybe?

Anyhow, pictures!

Just two more stands to do now, and flocking, of course.

I've also noticed that the way a unit looks pre flock and post-flock has a very different feel, so im looking forward to the unit being flocked, with their appropriate regimental flag too :D
Busy week next week, so might not get much done next week....

Is it just me, or do other people set themselves objectives and deadlines as well?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Very nice work! 8)
I amid the Douglas Adams school of deadlines, but yes:
56 cavalry, 24 slingers and a camp to do before 3rd October,  150 Samurai by mid November...
Eek!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon026

Haha! Best of luck with those :)

Posting my progress on the forums is great, I look at other people's work that are nothing but impressive, and it keeps motivating me to continue painting.