Started by Leon026, 13 November 2014, 05:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: WeeWars on 29 November 2014, 06:44:08 PM
If you're still on a quest for more variety, you can paint your trumpeter's horses grey

How do people paint greys?

I really struggle to get good looking greys, hence you won't have seen any in any of my 10mm projects.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Seeing the close-ups does better justice to your painting skills (for my poor eyesight the initial photos were too far back). These are a joy. The detail is amazing.  8)
In my own case, I'm just glad the scale is 10mm and so less danger of my own limited painting skills showing me up when displayed on the wargames table!  m/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Hertsblue

Quote from: paulr on 29 November 2014, 11:57:13 PM
How do people paint greys?

I really struggle to get good looking greys, hence you won't have seen any in any of my 10mm projects.

I think the secret is not to make the contrast between base colour and highlight colour too radical. Either dark grey with slightly lighter highlights or light grey with pale grey or white highlights seems to work best. Personally, I've given up on dapples. Nothing I try seems to look right.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Interesting, that. It's an effect that Japanese artists usually have trouble with too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

WeeWars

Quote from: Hertsblue on 01 December 2014, 11:36:49 AM
I think the secret is not to make the contrast between base colour and highlight colour too radical. Either dark grey with slightly lighter highlights or light grey with pale grey or white highlights seems to work best. Personally, I've given up on dapples. Nothing I try seems to look right.

Ray has put it very well. Another nice effect can be had from using a sandy brown colour as a base colour and highlight with a mid-light grey.

Sorry to hijack your post, Leon. Your units are still excellent!
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Thanks for the helpful comments on greys. I might experiment on a couple of spare figures from my 1917 project. :-\

Apologies Leon for diverting this thread from your excellent figures ;)

Hertsblue

Yes, indeed. The chasseurs รก cheval really look the business.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leon026

I realise cross-posting is bad, but I figured this image is worth being posted in this thread -

I mixed the following models:

NPF1 Line/Fusiliers, march attack
NPF2 Line/Fusiliers, standing, firing
NPF5 Line/Fusiliers in greatcoat, standing, f...
NPF34 Line Elite infantry in greatcoat

While also using some spare Line infantry command and a Light Infantry horn.

I chopped up some of the legs of some infantry to make them kneeling as well, and mixed them all up in a broken line formation / sorta kinda skirmishing formation (so that I can use them as both formed or skirmish, just need to let opponent know at beginning of the game). I feel the rag-tag nature really bring out the "Been campaigning for years, have musket, will fight for l'Empereur" theme.

Have more images on my blog, but didn't want to post all of them as they include non-Pendraken stuff (especially the generals and some of my austrians)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

Quote from: Leon026 on 26 December 2014, 05:51:25 PM
...I chopped up some of the legs of some infantry to make them kneeling as well...

A bit more than "chopped up", very impressive conversions  =D> =D> =D>

Westmarcher

Amazing! I would never have known unless you mentioned (certainly from that angle). Sterling stuff.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Hertsblue

A very nice little light infantry battalion. The poses certainly give it some character.

www.rulesdepot.net