hello

Started by alex mc, 12 November 2014, 03:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex mc

I have started to collect and paint a AWI British Army, I have to scale down from 28mm to 10mm and 6mm , Any help would be most welcome cheers alex mc :)

paulr

Welcome Alex,

There are a number of useful threads on AWI. A search of the forum for AWI will give you plenty of places to start.

This thread http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html will provide some initial inspiration or dispare depending on your current painting level.

Feel free to ask questions,  the answers will be interesting and sometimes relevant  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Anything by Dazza or Andymac will be serious inspiration. :)

Welcome on board.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Hi Alec!

Lots of info here about both AWI and painting the smaller scales by people more knowledgeable about both than I am. However, I will say that when painting smaller scale figures you need a slightly lighter shade of whatever colour you're using than you'd use for 28mm.

As Paul said, feel free to ask questions. Surprisingly, given we are on the internet, the forum members are remarkably friendly and helpful!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Welcome from me too, Alex. :-h (Huzzah !! the additional 'smileys' are working again....So's the spell checker. :>...Techno is a happy bunny !)
Cheers - Phil

Leman

Welcome to the rest home for the terminally bewildered.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Welcome Alex, or may I call you Mr Mc?

I too went from 20mm to 10mm. My first attempts were not successful. A pair of scissors and a box of Airfix does not compare favourably to the Pendraken offerings.

I'm not too up on the AWI. There weren't too many Centurions there were there? Still, if Cornwallis had had a squadron of Mk IIIs the Union Flag would still fly over Washington.

History is there to be twisted - FSN

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Hi Alex, welcome to the Forum! 

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Welcome on board Alex.

conster

welcome i to was taken over by the awi figs painted both sides to the best of my ability (not great) may even use them one day

Subedai

If the Mongols had been in the AWI I would be all over it, but sadly they did not so I can't help you either...but welcome anyway. In saying that, I am positive some of the more enlightened forum members will be able to pontificate at large on all aspects of the war.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Dave Fielder

Injuns ... they were Mongols weren't they?
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

FierceKitty

Alexander...tough name for a wargamer to live up to. Like being called Ludwig as a musician.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Like Ludwig from One Direction!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!