10mm Modern French Foreign Legion, and Help With Campaign

Started by bigjackmac, 10 November 2014, 03:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

I recently purchased some more modern French to base them up singly for a campaign I plan on running using "No End In Sight."  I built up a unit with HQ, Wpns (so far just SAM and 81mm mortar), and six 5-man rifle teams in both 'green' and 'desert,' with assorted vehicle support.

Here's a photo of three AMX-10Ps I picked up:

And who can tell me what kind of an ATGM this is?  Looks to me like a Javelin.  Do the French use Javelins?

For about 15 more photos, check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2014/11/modern-french-foreign-legion.html

Regarding the campaign, I'm looking to start Tuesday (Veteran's Day).  I think I've got the OOB figured out.  For the setting, I think I don't need too elaborate a back story.  This is the Legion, so they are available for worldwide deployment in service of France's foreign policy objectives.  I think I'll stick with real-life countries, with real and imaginary incidents/conflicts.  I'm looking at early/mid-90s, with lots of action in the Balkans and Eastern Europe following the break-up of the Soviet Union.  I'll be looking a lot at former French colonies, so we'll also have plenty of Northern and Western Africa, maybe some Lebanon, Cambodia, and Laos, maybe some Caribbean, need to look into Central/South America, and the Pacific (terrorists in Tahiti/French Polynesia?). 

Whaddaya think?  If you've got ideas regarding OOB or campaign hotspots, hurry up with'em!

V/R,
Jack

pierre the shy

Quote from: bigjackmac on 10 November 2014, 03:40:28 AM

And who can tell me what kind of an ATGM this is?  Looks to me like a Javelin.  Do the French use Javelins?

Hi Jack

Your stuff looks very good indeed, love the three tone camo of the vehicles.

I've played a fair bit of modern stuff so I'd say the ATGM is the ERYX rather than a Javelin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERYX

For double points while I'm here the SAM's that you have are the MISTRAL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistral_%28missile%29

Hope that helps - look forward to following your campaign - like your WW2 stuff too  8)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

Thanks Phil, now stop messing around on the internet, and get to work!  ;)

Pierre - I absolutely agree, I Googled it and I believe Eryx is the winner.  The only difference between the figure and 'real-life' is the figure has a much larger optics/targeting package than the real-life photos.

Regarding the campaign, for some reason I really want to start off in the Baltics, like the Soviet Union is breaking up and Estonia wants to break away, but internal hard liners want to keep the country Russia-aligned.  Estonia's interim government, headed by the cousin of the French President, asks France for help to crush the hardliners before the Russians are able to devote too much attention to keeping Estonia under its sphere of influence.  So the Legion is sent in.  Then I plan on a Northern Africa; as mentioned, maybe Chad, Libya, or Mauritania.  From there, the world is my oyster ;)

For those familiar with my previous FFL campaign, we were following the exploits of Major LaPieux, and his superiors, Colonel Louis-Louis and General Pouspous circa 2013, in the fictional former French colony of Perplakistan.  My intent here is to again follow LaPieux and Louis-Louis as they 'grow up,' with Louis-Louis as the task force commander and LaPieux one of his subordinates.

For my FFL campaign I'm going to put more guys on the table (both sides), a bigger (3′ x 2′) board, and 6″ reserve/out of contact movement.  I also plan on my good guys being qualitatively better (pro vs trained/irreg), and usually with the good guys having more troops.  I know it sounds backwards, but I like to win ;)

Actually, the point is not winning, the point is that I think this is generally a better concept of modern warfare for Western forces in most encounters: the Western forces are not in danger of being eliminated; 'winning' is based on accomplishing the mission objective(s) efficiently and with negligible casualties, otherwise the Western commander has 'lost.'  I think this works well as a game at this level as you have to actually fight, not just sit tight (or fall back) and call in supporting fires.  Though I reserve the right to fall back and call in supporting fires if I'm really getting my butt kicked ;)

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Quote from: bigjackmac on 11 November 2014, 12:32:04 AM
Thanks Phil, now stop messing around on the internet, and get to work!  ;) Jack

I can mix putty and type at the same time, you know. :P ;) ;D
Cheers - Phil.

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 11 November 2014, 07:15:45 AM
I can mix putty and type at the same time, you know. :P ;) ;D
Cheers - Phil.

When you mix putty with your one hand and eat your meal with the other instead of typing you can save a lunchbreak and do a figure per day more, no?

:P :P :P

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No not that - he,d eat the putty and poison himself.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021