CRAP!!

Started by Grenadier, 04 August 2010, 11:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grenadier

Did you ever have one of these days?  I just put the finishing touches on a 24 fig Danish WSS battalion and reached for the acrylic matt spray to give them a good protective coat.
I cleaned the spray tip, shook and sprayed a good wet coat.  WAIT A MINUTE!  That's f**king spray adhesive!:o Well, the can went flying across the room and many more words were uttered that I can't print here. I stormed upstairs not bearing to look at what I hath wrought.  >:( I'll slink down later to assess the damage.

Maenoferren

HOLY CRAP not good at all... I feel your pain :(
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

CK

That's really, really bad :(

nikharwood

Dare I ask...what's the actual damage now they're [presumably] dried?

Blaker

HOLY COW BATMAN - That really hurts just reading about it.

However, all may not be lost unless you live in a really really dusty house with cats or dogs or the flying can hit a bucket of flock.

The worst is that the solvent in the adhesive ate through your paint and made it run, thereby forcing your to strip them and repaint - worst case.

Best case, the solvent did nothing, you have sticky miniatures - do not handle them - I repeat - do not handle them.  If you can cover them with a box, let them continue to cure for at least another day. Then take them outside ( if it is sunny ) and not windy, and then use your clear Matt on a couple of them and let them cure for 24 hours. If it does not cloud up, then you are good to go and do the rest, your Matt finish will just adhere really really well. It might take a second coat a day later to make sure they are flat cause the chemical reaction might make the shiny with just one coat. However, if the clear coat clouds up or looks milky, then second worst case and you must, I hate to say this, - strip them.

Thats it mate, I am pulling for the Best Case for you. . . let them cure longer then try the matt spray.

Stuart

Oh dear  :(

I've done the same thing before but picked up the white spray instead of the varnish, there really is no way out of that.

Grenadier

Well, after a stiff gin & tonic I slunk back to the bench to see what I hath wrought. The glue had heavily texured the figures with a whitish fuzz.  Hmm, says I, solvent may take care of this.  First up, lacquer thinner.  No effect. A quick wash of enamel thinner seemed to dissolve it some.  Ok, lets use a soft, wide brush with thinner. That seemed to do it,  upstairs for another G&T. Back down to see what happened.  Hmmm, non sticky figures with just a bit of paint rubbed off from the brush, a quick touch-up should fix it. Whew! I believe I saved 'em. I will let them dry overnight and put on a clear coat this time.
Lessoned learned, read the blasted can before spraying.  The only thing that saved me from washing off all color was because I used acrylics. I will post pics of the unit when they're complete, unless I have too many G&T's and end up static grassing the figs instead of the bases.

FierceKitty

I once accidentally sprayed aerosol flock over a number of 15mm Aztec jaguar warriors; they turned into a fierce collection of warrior teddy bears.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

lentulus

After I read about a couple of these incidents, I started keeping my matt coat in a completely different room of the house from my priming sprays.

Blaker

Grenadier, glad to hear it is working out for you.  WHEW!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the survivors  ;D

Grenadier

Thanks for the sympathy guys.  I guess with stupid acts comes promotion...I made it to Lieutenant with post #50 today!
The Prinz Christian Battalion is fine, flags are now in the works.

republic of tolworth

Well recovered.

This is a fine cautionary tail if ever I've read one.
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Maenoferren

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

nikharwood

Glad you've rescued these bad boys  8)

Quoteunless I have too many G&T's and end up static grassing the figs instead of the bases.

Yep - that's always a risk quite frankly.  ;D

pobolycwm

Just to rehash this old thread, one half of my dressing table used to be my modelling bench.

picture the scene late at night using spray adhesive to flock some n gauge trees i had made
5.30 in the morning just crawled out of bed, crawled back from the shower and went to bung some pit spray on before i got dressed for work. needless to say the previous night i put my adhesive a little to close to my right guard and glued my armpits. I swore a bit which woke the wife, pits started burning so decided to go to local a+e. Theres me with glued up armpits still burning like mad, and the missus, the nurse and the quack peeing themselves laughing at my misfortune

moral of the story
the wife bought me a new workbench with secure storage for my glues. sore pits and humiliation fades into insignificance at that, considering i had been begging for a workbench for a few years .......

and to this day she still says i did it on purpose