1/72 U.S. Marines

Started by SV52, 09 November 2014, 10:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Part of a Weapons Company to complete the infantry component of what promises to be a long WW2 project:

81 mm mortars;

.50 cal HMGs;

37 mm A/T guns.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Nifty. But a question: do you need to cover your ears when firing a little mortar?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

clibinarium

I'm pretty sure as a child I played in the back garden with the green army man version of exactly these poses.

petercooman

SV52

Cheers comrades.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 November 2014, 10:22:11 AM
Nifty. But a question: do you need to cover your ears when firing a little mortar?

Personally I don't know; I've used the model as an 81mm (presumptuous of me I know). From British Army's 'Hearing Protection- an Individual Guide':

"...81mm mortar emits 174 dB which exceeds the peak exposure limit". So maybe Italeri were right to model it that way? ;)

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

Fenton

09 November 2014, 12:01:06 PM #7 Last Edit: 09 November 2014, 12:55:43 PM by Fenton
Mortars from what I have read let out a lot of gases as well as noise which can effect eyes and ears. Because they fire so rapidly maybe its the build up of noise and gas over several shots that cause people to cover ears and close eyes
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

FierceKitty

I remember my little sister was much taken with the boinggggg! sound of a light mortar in a TV show in the 70s, and walked around imitating it at great length.

Luddite

Very nice sir.

However, i'm pretty sure a couple of those mortars are going to deliver a rather counter-productive salvo.  What goes up must come down after all... ;D
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

SV52

Quote from: Luddite on 09 November 2014, 01:04:45 PM
Very nice sir.

However, i'm pretty sure a couple of those mortars are going to deliver a rather counter-productive salvo.  What goes up must come down after all... ;D

Damn, you noticed!  Perhaps I should have shortened the legs; on reflection I think I'll have to, they do look kinda dumb.

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

Quote from: SV52 on 09 November 2014, 11:08:17 PM
Damn, you noticed!  Perhaps I should have shortened the legs; on reflection I think I'll have to, they do look kinda dumb.

He's not the only one to notice  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

SV52

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!