Berwick upon Tweed

Started by DanJ, 19 October 2014, 06:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt J

Quotenot sure if the matching casemate at the opposite end would have been vulnerable to this fire?

probably meant for firing grape shot
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Leman

The tide's in in the penultimate shot. I believe Berwick is still on the Anglo-Scottish border.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

DanJ

As DP said the tide was in, the shot is looking along the wall as it runs parallel with the river, towards the sea.

Berwick itself is a couple of miles inside England although its football team plays in a Scottish league.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The reason that Berwick declared war on Russia, it could never tell which side of the border it's on - unfortunate or English  :d.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Pijlie

Quote from: Subedai on 20 October 2014, 06:00:16 PM
Do you by any chance work for the Northumberland Tourist Board?  ;)

I can wholeheartedly and from first hand experience confirm DanJ's statements  :)

DanJ

QuoteDo you by any chance work for the Northumberland Tourist Board?

No, but all my family come from there unfortunately by a cruel twist of fate I was born in Northumberland but in Watford  >:(

Here's a shot of Dunstanborough Castle.

jchaos79

Leman

Dunstanburgh also makes for a great walk.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

DanJ

QuoteDunstanburgh also makes for a great walk

It certainly does, Craster up to Seahouses or Bamborough (or the other way round) is one of my favourite walks.  Here's Dunstanburgh from the Crater side.

Techno

I see some really weird 'shapes' in the silhouette shot ! ;D ;D ;D
There's a dobey dog, with a really long neck....Sam, the eagle....And 3 kings with crowns having a chin-wag.

(I need some of Nobby's pills !)

Cheers - Mr C Ingthings.

Hertsblue

If you want a truly spectacular fortress try Ehrenbreitstein, just across the Rhine from Coblenz. It only has fortifications on one side - the other is a sheer drop of a hundred feet or so.

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

paulr

Quote from: Techno on 04 December 2014, 02:26:52 PM
I see some really weird 'shapes' in the silhouette shot ! ;D ;D ;D
There's a dobey dog, with a really long neck....Sam, the eagle....And 3 kings with crowns having a chin-wag.

(I need some of Nobby's pills !)

Cheers - Mr C Ingthings.

Arrrrrrrgh...........  I see them now  8-} 8-} 8-}
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Good !  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
(Don't take any notice of me.....My eyes go a bit weird looking at wee figures all day.)
Cheers - Phil

Calm Down, Calm Down......

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DanJ

So I go to interesting, out of the way places, photograph them as well as I'm able, open a photobucket account, upload the photos, start a new thread, link the pictures to the Pendraken Forum hoping to provide some measure of interest and the response is....

QuoteThere's a dobey dog, with a really long neck....Sam, the eagle....And 3 kings with crowns having a chin-wag

~X(

;)