converting LOA figures (do I need to)

Started by Alan, 23 September 2014, 11:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Hello Pendrakeneers!

Just a quick question from me. I am chewing a pen with my LOA figs (and they are coming along nicely now I am out of the grey uniform swamp)... And I am tackling the Scottish Establishment Regiments. So, having done a bit of research it seems to be standard uniforms but with most regiment wearing the botten like ECW Scots...

So, suggestions please:

1) Leave the figures as they are. It will be fine, but I will know its not right.
2) Full head chop off and replace with ECW Scots (of which I have none), a very expensive and potentially messy (heads falling off, fingers superglued together) solution.
3) Hats off... replace with green stuff.
4) File hats to build body of body, tidy up with green stuff.

How would you tackle it if you were bonkers enough to start chopping up a great figure range to create regiments that lasted about 20 minutes?

Cheers,

Alan

WeeWars

Solution 4 seems a good one.

Even if you do just some, it would add to the character of the unit in my opinion.

PS It's fun converting well-sculpted figures as any other. If you are worried of being heretical, buy two. Keep one as is. Convert the other.

I hacked bits off one of Clib's minis to do this:

www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809blogpost115.htm

Cheers, Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

If it were 15mm or greater I would say 3, but 4 will be easier.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Matt J

number 3

converting is fun, just finished converting brit syw command into advancing pose (nothing worse than battalion advancing while the command stand still looking pretty)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Alan

Thanks comrades,

all very useful stuff. If I had a time machine, I would love to go back to that era and see how close we are to what the troops, animals, kids, camp followers etc really looked like. Anyway, I will have a go and report my findings.

WeeWars

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 23 September 2014, 01:32:50 PM
(nothing worse than battalion advancing while the command stand still looking pretty)

Same as Austrian Napoleonic officers  :(

clibinarium

If it were me, I'd cut the hat brims away so that only the crown remains. Nail clippers are good for this. Then just take a blob of putty and lay it on the top, pushing it down over the crown into the shape of a bonnet. You can cut the hat off altogether and put the putty on the "cut" but once cured its more liable to ping off. Leaving the crown of the hat on gives the putty a strong anchoring.

Alan

Thats it. Thats the idea. Thats what I will do!

clibinarium

If you haven't got one consider getting a colour shaper or two, they'll help immensely . Flat chisel shape would be most useful for this job.

WeeWars

Firm colour shapers are also produced as well as the soft ones.

Alan

Thanks comrades,

useful stuff. I will keep you updated on the hacking.

Aye,

A.