French Motorcycles - Made in Japan?

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 23 September 2014, 12:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hi All

I was thinking of bodgying up a Type 97 Motorcycle combination and I spotted a picture of pre-war French (police?) in Shanghai during a parade that seem to be riding motorcycle combinations with the side-car on the rider's left:-

Would these be Japanese Type 97 or other type of licensed Harley Davidson built to Japanese specifications?

Would these be used in Indochina rather than French?

Also the picture is indistinct, any ideas on  the armament of the sidecar rider? Could it be MAS 38s?

Thanks for any help from the knowledgeable people out there

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

For some reason the pictures on that forum don't seem to like being hot linked.

Here is the link:-
http://www.network54.com/Realm/overvalwagens/shanghaifrenchmotorbikes.jpg

from http://www.network54.com/Forum/330333/thread/1113139749/another+unknown+Chinese+armoured+car

I've also attached a copy.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Hertsblue

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

GrumpyOldMan

Hi Hertsblue

Yes I think they are but the question remains on why they are being used. It must be a strictly financial one. was using Japanese bikes cheaper and faster than French ones? Early Globalisation/Economic Rationalism perhaps  :D.

Nice picture, thanks will put that one with the others I have of Type 97s.

Still a Harley Davidson base lends itself to other nations variants. I've attached a pic of Dutch marines on a Harley combination with Lewis gun.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

toxicpixie

Awesome shot of the Dutch Marines there! Now I'm tempted :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

A question on the Dutch Marines though, the side-car is on the riders left - so is this another Japanese licensed Harley? It was being used in the East Indies (Surinam).

Once you delve into the strange worlds of motorbikes you can find a lot of interesting stuff.

A few pictures attached from KNIL pages

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Found another one, attached below.

Anybody have any info on the FN Armoured Bike? Apparently they were sold to Argentina, China and Brazil.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan