New to Pendraken

Started by Elhanko, 22 September 2014, 09:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elhanko

Hi All

I am new to 10mm and Pendraken.
I have just purchased 2 armies from the ACW range and I can't wait to get started.
Any handy hints at this scale will be very helpful thank you.

petercooman

Welcome!

One thing i do myself, is take one shade lighter than the colour i need, makes them stand out better on the table, when they are an arms length away!

Maenoferren

Welcome aboard to a very friendly forum/madhouse/asylum :D
some fabulous figure painters in here who will be able to give you loads of help and support re painting...
Have fun
Cheers
Maen
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello and welcome.
Big hint from me, coat d'arms Deadly Nightshade is a brilliant blue for Union/Prussians/French
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Hi Elhanko!

I'd second the suggestion to use slightly lighter shades than you would for bigger figures.

I'd also second the idea that there are friendly, helpful and supportive people here. For all that some of the posts may look to be proving the fine line that lies between genius and madness :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mollinary

Welcome!

This bit of advice may sound counter intuitive.  Undercoat black - this allows you to be a little more imprecise in your painting, and the black acts as a "buffer/border" between different colours. It serves the same purpose as a lot of shading on bigger figures. A necessary partner to using a black undercoat is to use lighter colours for your main uniform colours than you would on larger figures.   There is very little space to reflect light in this scale, so if you use the exact colour, it all looks black from about three inches away!  Think Impressionism. An arm is a blob of one colour, with a highlighting blob of one shade lighter.   You can do this on ten figures at a time mounted with blue tack on a stick. It is simply a question of repeating a single, simple,  stroke, it does not require a lot of skill. Experiment - experiment - experiment. Find what suits you. There are loads of fantastic guides to painting 10mms on this forum - look forward to seeing your results.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

fsn

Welcome Elhanko.

My piece of advice is to listen to these chaps. 4 out of 5 of them give very good advice, 1 out of 5 is ... well less than useful.

However, they're all well meaning and friendly. My ACW are very dark and brooding. All my figures are dark.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Hi Elhanko.

Welcome to the forum.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Hi Elhanko, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Quote from: fsn on 22 September 2014, 10:26:00 PM
My piece of advice is to listen to these chaps. 4 out of 5 of them give very good advice, 1 out of 5 is ... well less than useful.

By my count you were one out of six  ;) ;D

Welcome Elhanko

Opinions on undercoat differ, the main contenders, in no particular order are; black, white and grey, there are others.

I would suggest looking at some of the pictures of ACW figures posted and then ask how the ones you like were done  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Hi Elhanko,

Welcome to the forum. If you want some idea of what is possible in ACW have a look at this thread:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10357.105.html

Have fun!
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Hi Elhanko and welcome. Take a look at the painting and modelling section of the forum. There are lots of very useful hints and tips there. After nearly 50 years of wargaming I am still experimenting and improving my techniques, not in small part owing to the help and advice on this forum.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chad

Elhanko. Welcome.

Unless you feel confident about using black undercoat from the start, I would
go with grey or white to start while you experiment with black.

I am an average painter and have never been able to satisfactorily
undercoat in black.

Totally agree with lighter shades for 10mm.

Chad

Matt J

:-h hi there!

painting models is like making babies, there's lots of ways to do it, everyone has their favourite, but the results are the same and some methods are more enjoyable than others  :)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep