Films

Started by fsn, 20 September 2014, 05:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Quote from: getagrip on 03 March 2015, 09:19:06 PM
Come on Sub; it's worth a better rant than that  :D

I'm not sure it is.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Cromwell was another massively missed opportunity. Handed on a plate the story of a man who rose from virtually nothing to running the country with an iron fist. His sub-commander roles were a vital part of his rise to power, yet the whole thing botched for reasons beyond understanding.

I'm currently working my way through Borgia (not The Borgias), I'm enjoying it in the same way I enjoy Game of Thrones. Historically it is utter Borax: Battle of Fornovo1493; Charles Viii bangs his head after a game of tennis with Cesare Borgia and dies in 1494, and I'm left thinking this is good fantasy stuff. All we need are the Borgia dragons unleashed on the recalcitrant princes of the Papal States and we've got something really worthwhile here.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 04 March 2015, 08:41:34 AM
Cromwell was another massively missed opportunity. Handed on a plate the story of a man who rose from virtually nothing to running the country with an iron fist. His sub-commander roles were a vital part of his rise to power, yet the whole thing botched for reasons beyond understanding.

I'm currently working my way through Borgia (not The Borgias), I'm enjoying it in the same way I enjoy Game of Thrones. Historically it is utter Borax: Battle of Fornovo1493; Charles Viii bangs his head after a game of tennis with Cesare Borgia and dies in 1494, and I'm left thinking this is good fantasy stuff. All we need are the Borgia dragons unleashed on the recalcitrant princes of the Papal States and we've got something really worthwhile here.

I enjoyed Borgia (and The Borgias too for that matter).  I have the suspicious feeling it was the same script :-\  There were too many errors which were the same in both.

Borgia however, was far more visceral.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Leman

As I said, great inspiration for a fantasy campaign. The French could be represented by the High Elves and the Spanish by Dwarves. The Undead could be the HRE. I like the idea of the various Italian factions being competing Dragon Men.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 04 March 2015, 08:52:03 AM
As I said, great inspiration for a fantasy campaign. The French could be represented by the High Elves and the Spanish by Dwarves. The Undead could be the HRE. I like the idea of the various Italian factions being competing Dragon Men.

That's a rather good idea ;)

Also, as it's in a largely historical context, it would be really easy to develop the campaign.

Nosher

Talking of bad films, just watched World War Z.

An hour and 56 minutes of my life I'm not going to be able to get back :(

They should rename it World War Zzzzzzzz   I-) I-) I-)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Westmarcher

If it is ever shown on the TV, I might watch it just to see how they transformed George Square and St.Vincent Street in Glasgow into Philadelphia(?).  One of my daughters works in Glasgow and tells me they had the street signs and traffic lights changed to American ones and were filming all sorts of stunts (blowing up cars etc.,). And they had zombies walking about ...
..... heh! is that why they picked Glasgow?  :D

[actually, Glasgow is a wonderful city - as the Commonwealth Games will testify - and doesn't deserve the reputation it is sometimes given - usually by people who have never been there]

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

One of the pleasures of life among the Czechs was the howls of audience derision every time an American movie tried to pass off an obvious Prague street scene as part of Budapest or Vienna or London or Moscow.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Westmarcher on 18 March 2015, 09:37:06 AM
If it is ever shown on the TV, I might watch it just to see how they transformed George Square and St.Vincent Street in Glasgow into Philadelphia(?).  One of my daughters works in Glasgow and tells me they had the street signs and traffic lights changed to American ones and were filming all sorts of stunts (blowing up cars etc.,). And they had zombies walking about ...

actually, Glasgow is a wonderful city - as the Commonwealth Games will testify - and doesn't deserve the reputation it is sometimes given - usually by people who have never been there]

Having been there many a time and oft, I'd have thought they could just roll the cameras in Sauchiehall Street on a Friday or Saturday night  :P ;D ;D ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 March 2015, 12:00:30 PM
Having been there many a time and oft, I'd have thought they could just roll the cameras in Sauchiehall Street on a Friday or Saturday night  :P ;D ;D ;D

Wouldn't make it past the censors :D

Westmarcher

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 March 2015, 12:00:30 PM
Yep, like every big city, it can get a bit boisterous at the weekend ...... especially when Batman, a large red crayon and a minion are roaming the streets!  :D

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11228.0.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Nosher

If they wanted Zombies walking the streets they should have come to Ipswich on payday weekend at 3am Friday and Saturday night.

Its like Shaun of the Dead.... and thats just the overworked Paramedics :-<
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Big Insect

Just finished watching Panipat (the great betrayal) on Netflix for a bit of light relief.

Whilst it is a Bollywood mass - epic - I actually quite enjoyed it - even the standard Bollywood song and dance routines.

That period in Indian history has always fascinated me anyway. Definitely worth spending some time watching but not seriously  :D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

flamingpig0

Quote from: Nosher on 17 March 2015, 09:17:04 PM
Talking of bad films, just watched World War Z.

An hour and 56 minutes of my life I'm not going to be able to get back :(

They should rename it World War Zzzzzzzz   I-) I-) I-)

I am with your its complete bollocks and  more to the point boring
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 18 March 2015, 09:37:06 AM

[actually, Glasgow is a wonderful city - as the Commonwealth Games will testify - and doesn't deserve the reputation it is sometimes given - usually by people who have never been there]

The grid layout, and the build dates of the city centre make Glasgow a good stand-in for many USA cities.
Charleston S.C probably wouldn't match, but many of the northern Industrial ones are similar enough.

Modern CGI is extremely good at gluing another 40 stories of skyscraper on top of the classic sandstone facades for a proper transatlantic look.
Add a few road signs and yellow Taxis on the wrong sides of the road and job's a good-un.