The dangers of to many rule sets.

Started by Last Hussar, 06 September 2014, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Quote from: Fenton on 06 September 2014, 03:42:39 PM
Maybe we should go back to the universal ruleset of rolling marbles and firing matchsticks at our figures

No firing of matchsticks - Aly reckons modern figures are too heavy, paint jobs too fragile and match firing cannon way too expensive.

However, from Partizan, I give you "Little Wars" 2014 style

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Maenoferren

Quote from: Fenton on 06 September 2014, 03:42:39 PM
Maybe we should go back to the universal ruleset of rolling marbles and firing matchsticks at our figures
that is why I started using rules...my mate was a better shot
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Hertsblue on 06 September 2014, 11:53:42 AM
Well, the older I get the more unpredictable my memory becomes.  :-$ 8-} :-<

I know I was going to totally agree with you but I can't remember what we were talking about!! Something about the rules for striking matches off wargame figures I think.......

Hertsblue

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Last Hussar

Do you play the original LW - very predictable - 1 infantry kills 1 infantry on combat- cavalry 1 kills 2 infantry etc.  Made it a bit boring  12 v 10 means 1 side wiped out, the other with 2 left.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Luddite

Quote from: Last Hussar on 07 September 2014, 11:16:38 AM
Do you play the original LW - very predictable - 1 infantry kills 1 infantry on combat- cavalry 1 kills 2 infantry etc.  Made it a bit boring  12 v 10 means 1 side wiped out, the other with 2 left.

Arguably more realistic than 'one side routed/destroyed; the other side survives intact'...

Most historical formations had one decent stand-up fight in them - especially cavalry.   :)
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 06 September 2014, 11:04:57 AM
Sunjester and Just a Few Orcs played a game of Warmaster for the first time in ages last night.

Orcs was trying to use DBM
Sunjester was trying to use BKC...
(Title should say 'Too')

In our joint defense - we did remember to use D6's.  Anyway whats wrong with the DBAmaster !!! :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Last Hussar on 07 September 2014, 11:16:38 AM

To be fair to Wells, that's also happened in my last few games of SAGA.

Dr Dave

Quote from: ianrs54 on 06 September 2014, 11:38:19 AM
Hail Cearser, Pike and Shote and Black powder drive me crazy...the annoying little differences. Then I go plays BKC, or CWC same again

IanS  :D

We get this every time! Thankfully, we have a rules mentat who knows them all - even the bkc and cwc close assault rules.   :D

toxicpixie

This is partly why I prefer to accept the lumpy bits in rules and play "as written" as much as possible instead of house ruling and tweaking and amending. Hard enough to remember what's in the book let alone dubious changes we've Introduced :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting