Hello from Finland

Started by Aksu, 26 August 2014, 06:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

Quote from: Ithoriel on 27 August 2014, 06:10:40 PM
I'm sure I posted some pics of orcs and goblins in the top totty thread a while back

Yes, yes you did. Not sure if we've forgiven you yet... ;)

mollinary

Welcome Aksu. Love that unit, forty men look the part in a way that sixteen don't! Also like the unusual way you have done your flags - very realistic  :-bd :-bd =D> =D>

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

Very nice work indeed Aksu 8).

Ace of Spades

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 27 August 2014, 02:56:36 PM
No, personal would be to call you a slave keeping reactionary.
It wouldn't be personal; it would be historically incorrect ;)

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

LondonPete51

Oooooh Airfix! Those were the days....I remember having a (very) varied selection from Ancient Britons to ACW; all fighting on the D-Day beaches!!!

Peter

Hertsblue

Quote from: LondonPete51 on 04 November 2014, 02:26:51 PM
Oooooh Airfix! Those were the days....I remember having a (very) varied selection from Ancient Britons to ACW; all fighting on the D-Day beaches!!!

Peter

Oh, very Doctor Who! Some sort of temporal hitch, perhaps?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Are all of the old Airfix boxes of soldiers still for sale ?.....Seen odd ones recently, but I seem to remember (Hah !) there were a load of different ones ?.....Some real 'goodies' too.
Cheers - Phil.

Ace of Spades

Some are now being reproduced bij HäT but still not all as far as I know. The old sets to go with the trains and the sets with the zoo animals are no longer available and neither are the old British 'Guards' and  'Guards Band' being done by anyone. Most WW-1 and WW-2 sets are still being marketed either by Airfix, Heller or HäT.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

GrumpyOldMan

Hi Rob

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 05 November 2014, 01:00:12 PM
Some are now being reproduced bij HäT but still not all as far as I know. The old sets to go with the trains and the sets with the zoo animals are no longer available and neither are the old British 'Guards' and  'Guards Band' being done by anyone. Most WW-1 and WW-2 sets are still being marketed either by Airfix, Heller or HäT.

Cheers,
Rob

The figures to go with the trains are still available in a fashion from Dapol http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=51 along with the old Airfix buildings. http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=177_62_155.

The others are in eBay cloud cuckoo land as far as prices go  :) I wish I still had my Guards band that I converted to a an ACW Union band. This set was brought out by BUM http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7096 but I can't find any currnet link.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Techno

False memory syndrome ?.....But I remember them looking a lot crisper than that.
(Maybe the colour of the plastic ?....Think the ones I had were almost pink)
Cheers - Phil

fsn

Could be age-related FMS. I remember the Guards band as being pretty ropey.

Wasn't it the first Airfix figure pack?

(He he - they're called 'BUM')

Heavy is the hand of age upon the shoulder of - FSN
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

I think I'm getting them mixed up with another pack ??
Was there a pack with just (almost all) marching figures with the rifles over t'shoulder ?

And do I remember packs of cowboys ?......Norman knights ?....A Robin Hood pack ?

Cheers - Mr Dazed and Confused. 8-}

Ithoriel

There was a pack of marching guardsmen, of similar style and quality to the band.

Cowboys in a dark brown plastic, Robin Hood and his merry band in green and, not Norman Knights but, The Sheriff of Nottingham in grey.

The Robin Hood figures I had were converted into Gothic Infantry using info from Airfix Magazine on how to do the conversion; using pins, drawing pins, Plasticine and banana oil.

Happy Days
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 06 November 2014, 11:39:14 AM
There was a pack of marching guardsmen, of similar style and quality to the band.
Cowboys in a dark brown plastic, Robin Hood and his merry band in green and, not Norman Knights but, The Sheriff of Nottingham in grey.
Happy Days

Cowboys ?...Dark brown ?......That sounds right !......Robin Hood in green ?......Yep !.......Ahhhh.....That makes sense...The Sherriff and his nasty men, rather than Norman's  ;) knights.
Were there 'red indians' in a 'terracotta' hue ?
Others.....ACW Union troops in almost navy ?.....The Confederates in grey ?.

Definitely happy days. ;) :) :) :) :)
Cheers - Phil