Hello from Finland

Started by Aksu, 26 August 2014, 06:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksu

Hi all,
I'm Aksu from Helsinki, Finland. I started wargaming with Airfix Napoleonics back in the Bruce Quarrie days of the grim 1970s, and after all these years dabbling in 6, 15 and 20 mm I've finally discovered the wonderful world of 10 mm figures. My first project will be ACW armies for Longstreet. I hope to be able to show my efforts to you soon, and I hope to get painting and basing tips and tricks from you veterans.
Cheers,
Aksu

Techno

Hi to you too, Aksu. :-h
A very warm welcome to the madhouse forum.
Cheers - Phil

barbarian

2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

Howdy Aksu,

ACW; good choice! A big Rebel 'Yeeeeehaaaaw' to that! :-bd

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Welcome Aksu; I started wargaming in 1967 using Airfix ACW, eventually moving on to 15mm in the late 80s. If I had my time again I would do it in 10mm as the Pendraken range is fantastic. Take a look at the thread where Leon has commissioned all the ACW figures to be painted for the online catalogue. You will certainly get lots of help on this forum.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Hi Aksu. Airfix were probably the granddaddy of all wargaming, I certainly started out that way too. Welcome to the forum. 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Mmmm. My grandfather was a useless, boozing layabout. The Airfix comparison is most apt.

Meanwhile, welcome, Aksu. I hope we'll get to see your collection of Scandanavian credit cards some day.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Fenton

Hi Aksu

Welcome to the club
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Steve J

Welcome on board Aksu. I too started with Airfix, albeit WWII in the early '70's.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

More foreginers getting in, must speak to border control.

Welcome.

IanS (Angry of Birkenhead)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Don't worry about Ian, you get used to him after a while.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Subedai

Ah yes, Christmas Day, 1962 or 63, Sek Kong Village, Hong Kong, Frank Ifield singing 'I Remember You' on Forces Favourites. Halcyon days. My first introduction to little chaps. My father had bought me two packs of Airfix Afrika Korps and 8th Army. Never looked back.

Welcome Aksu.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Ithoriel

26 August 2014, 01:22:04 PM #13 Last Edit: 26 August 2014, 01:32:35 PM by Ithoriel
Hi Aksu, welcome to the forum!

Apparently I started gaming with Airfix figures in 1961-62 though it was Little Wars style gaming with gunfire simulated with marbles flicked Subbuteo style at the opposing army!

Subedai, I must have boosted my forces with those same two sets at about the same time  you got yours. No problem in those days with having the vaguely NATO combat group and the 8th Army take on the German infantry and Afrika "Corpse" in a fight over a clearly English Pub/ Cottage/ Parish Church or a Signal Box clearly marked "Oakham."

My father was sure it was a craze I'd grow out of ... over half a century later he's still waiting :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

Hi Aksu, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!