Militia Miniatures - Coming soon to Kickstarter...

Started by Leon, 17 August 2014, 12:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

PART ONE

Bennett stormed into the abandoned house, flinging the door open with such force that it bounced back off the wall and almost struck him in the face.  Further angered by the doors unwillingness to play fair, he grabbed hold of it again and slammed it shut.  'Easy there big guy!' came an amused voice from behind a computer screen on the other side of the room.

'When I want your opinion Strike, I'll give it to you.' grumbled Bennett, removing his sodden poncho and throwing it onto a nearby table.  He wandered over to the burning fire to warm up, disturbing another man from his reading.

'Any news then?' asked Andersen, placing his book down on the table.

'Nah', he replied, rubbing his hands together in front of the dancing flames, allowing the warmth to restore feeling to his fingers, 'Ghost's still out there waiting for them to return.'

'Not to worry, as soon as they've got the intel they'll be back.  Then we can get on with the job.'

The big man sighed and sat down on a nearby chair.  'I'm sick of the rain.  Everywhere we go, it rains.  And not just normal rainy rain, it's big fat rain, every single time.  What's the deal with that?'

'It's that big bald head of yours', offered Strike, 'Well known fact that rain is naturally attracted to dense, flat surfaces...'

Bennett stared over at the younger man, a slight look of confusion on his face.  'But I was wearing a hat...'

For more info:
Visit our website: http://www.militiaminiatures.co.uk/
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/militiaminiatures
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Hmmm, interesting..... :-\. I shall watch this with interest.

petercooman

Interesting  :-\

Will these be heroic 28's or regular? Maybe of use with my 28mm zombie stuff? Shame it's kickstarter  ???

Leon

Quote from: petercooman on 17 August 2014, 07:10:33 PM
Interesting  :-\

Will these be heroic 28's or regular? Maybe of use with my 28mm zombie stuff? Shame it's kickstarter  ???

They are regular 28mm's, designed to fit in with other popular modern ranges already out there, like Empress and Eureka.  They'll go on general sale after the KS, but that's likely to be the end of the year or early 2015.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

clibinarium

17 August 2014, 07:41:00 PM #4 Last Edit: 17 August 2014, 07:43:54 PM by clibinarium
Quote from: petercooman on 17 August 2014, 07:10:33 PM
Interesting  :-\

Will these be heroic 28's or regular? Maybe of use with my 28mm zombie stuff? Shame it's kickstarter  ???

But if its from the guys at Pendraken, surely the whole Kickstarter issue of potential scam artists who'll disappear with your money, is much less of a concern?

EDIT; I notice that as I post this I have a big "Team Pendraken" badge under my name. We should make it clear that's more about the fact that they hire me every so often, I'm not part of the business as such!

petercooman

Quote from: clibinarium on 17 August 2014, 07:41:00 PM
But if its from the guys at Pendraken, surely the whole Kickstarter issue of potential scam artists who'll disappear with your money, is much less of a concern?

EDIT; I notice that as I post this I have a big "Team Pendraken" badge under my name. We should make it clear that's more about the fact that they hire me every so often, I'm not part of the business as such!

I don't have ANY doubt in team pendraken, i just detest kickstarter as a whole.  ;)

clibinarium

You're certainly not alone in not liking Kickstarter, but which aspect? I am curious as I am planning one myself  :)

Fenton

I am not really a fan of KS as well. For me it seems to have become nothing more than a pre order system ( especially on the gaming front) these days rather than people looking for some financial help to get a product off the ground
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

petercooman

Quote from: clibinarium on 17 August 2014, 08:08:15 PM
You're certainly not alone in not liking Kickstarter, but which aspect? I am curious as I am planning one myself  :)

Well to be honest, when i buy something, i will have looked about half a dozen times around the web for pictures, scale comparisons, reviews etc...

I like to know exactly what i buy. not models based on concept art or 3d renditions but what i see is what i (want to) get. I really don't like ordering something that has not been made and spread around the gaming community for 'testing'.

If you search the web, you will notice that lots of wargamers do unboxings, comparisons and step by step builds, and that shows that we want to see and spread that info, and adjust our purchases based on if we like what we see or not.

I'm not saying there's a problem with kickstarter, don't get me wrong, it's just not the way i want to buy models/games. For me, half the fun of ordering something is researching, and exploring what like-minded fellows around the globe have achieved with the stuff i'm looking to buy. Gives me a decent insight in what i'm buying.

I can only say good luck on the kickstarter for these, and maybe if i like what i see i'll get them afterwards ;)

fred.

I've gone with 4 ''crowd funded" miniatures purchases in the last year or so. Only 1 was actually through kickstarter itself.

In Her Majesty's Name figures - from North Star
Mongols - from Pendraken  :D
Evil Men - on Indiegogo by Yann
Landschenkt Zweihänders - on Kickstarter by Dave of Warmonger

The first two were definitely more of pre-orders - but even the Pendraken Mongols I think got a bigger range because of the support given to the campaign.

The second two I don't think would have been made if it wasn't for crowd funding - as both are by startups needing the money for sculpts and casting. Both of these used sketches and greens to show what they were intending to make.

I've not been in big money on any one £40 to £100 probably. Two have delivered, one is due soon, and the 4th has only closed fairly recently.

On the other side of the style of KS - is the current Mantic one for Dungeon Saga - this is very slick with a continual steam of stretch goals. But in some ways if feels a bit fake - their target was £50k (loads of money compared to any of the above) and they are currently at £400k, but it feels they are really just 'unlocking' stuff that they were going to do anyway.  If the total figure count gets high, then I may still go for it - but I'm not sure.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

Yeah mantic are good at that.

I recently bought their deadzone game, and although very nice stuff, it would have been too big of a risk to 'pre order' that through kickstarter. I just wanted too see it first.

The stretch goal stuff is also a nasty side effect of KS. Instead of buying a few bits so you can see if it's really your cup of tea, i see lots of people going the full length to get all the add-ons etc..

I have lost count of how many 'full pledge packages' i have seen being offered for sale in trade sections on other forums like LAF and such, just because people got their package and didn't like what they saw once they got it in their hands. Reaper bones for example is something that frequently turns up...

clibinarium

Hmmm, those points are completely reasonable, I have seen a lot of Abe Simpson style denunciations of Kickstarter over on TMP, but this isn't one such. I do look at a lot of projects on Kickstarter and wonder if they need to be using crowdfunding.

For miniatures I think there's two main types; the project that's going to get done anyway, but gives you a good deal for supporting a fledgling range early, and the project of unknown viability that needs a certain amount of money to bring it into existence as otherwise its too big a risk for the creator. There are other reasons but some are less impressive, for example to use the reach of Kickstater almost as advertising. Its not that that isn't legitimate, its just less interesting.
The one I have planned is definitely in the "wouldn't happen without Kickstarter" category, and if such a project doesn't reach its funding that's an answer in itself, that there's not enough demand for it; move on. I do think its useful for getting projects going that couldn't have been attempted otherwise.

petercooman

Quote from: clibinarium on 17 August 2014, 11:36:34 PM

The one I have planned is definitely in the "wouldn't happen without Kickstarter" category, and if such a project doesn't reach its funding that's an answer in itself, that there's not enough demand for it; move on. I do think its useful for getting projects going that couldn't have been attempted otherwise.

Yes, but i always wonder, if you get it (barely) funded, what's to expect afterwards?

Quote from: clibinarium on 17 August 2014, 11:36:34 PM
Hmmm, those points are completely reasonable, I have seen a lot of Abe Simpson style denunciations of Kickstarter over on TMP, but this isn't one such.

These points being reasonable, is just because it's my own personal look at it, not some 'follow the herd' dissaproval thingy  :P :P
I don't care what the herd says, i just shop in a way i get some pleasure out of it!

clibinarium

Yes its certainly true that the barely funded project may not have legs after the kickstater ends, but if its an obscure thing that's a labour of love getting it into existence and breaking even can be enough. Otherwise plan the funding structure carefully so that even the barely funded level has a margin of safety built in!

Its not so much that your reasons are sound (they are), its that they are actual reasons, not the frequent "Kickstarter is a tool of the Devil!" statements that go on on TMP a lot of the time.

Ithoriel

I backed Yann's Evil Men KS for no better reason than that I had "support a kickstarter project" on my mental bucket list.

Wish I'd had the courage of my convictions and backed Heroes of Normandie too :(

Still have to tick off "Create a blog and keep it going for a year." I'd ask for suggestions as to a blogging platform but I fear I might drown in the responses :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data