Vallejo Flesh

Started by Wulf, 11 August 2014, 11:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Can someone tell me if there's a difference between FLESH and FLESHTONE in the Vallejo range? I'm having big problems with two of my Vallejo paints, Model Color 815 Basic Skintone & Sunny Skintone (label damaged, can't read the number). Neither covers at all well, but both bottles are well over half full, so I'd rather not buy new bottles & find the replacements are no different...

I was thinking the Tones are different, and provide less colour, but then I realised I have two bottles of 860, one 860 Medium Flesh, one 860 Medium Fleshtone...

Leman

To be honest I find 018, Flat Flesh, to be best for European skin and 019, Dark Flesh, for N.African and Middle Eastern skin.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Wulf

Yes, annoyingly, I seem to have a half dozen pots of flesh colours, but no Flat Flesh.

You don't know about the question of a difference between "Flesh" and "Fleshtone" though?

Leman

I've got 017 Basic Skintone which I never use now because I discovered Flat flesh. I find Basic Skintone too light. Some Vallejo colours seem to require an inordinate amount of shaking before they will give up the part which enhances opacity.

FierceKitty

Interested to note that the Sakura acrylics I use no longer produce a "flesh tone"; it's now called "light orange", which I must say I prefer.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Mickey Sims

What you need is Vallejo Heavy Skintone, it's an extra opaque (pigment heavy) will cover in one coat easily. I feel like a Vallejo rep, this is the second post in a minute were I've pushed Vallejo Extra Opaques, but they are fantastic.

Wulf

Quote from: Mickey Sims on 10 September 2014, 10:09:48 PM
What you need is Vallejo Heavy Skintone
I do use that now, having got my Vallejo flesh paints into a bit more order. However, I've also discovered the Foundry flesh paint ranges, specifically the African tones, and will be trying their Caucasian colours sometime (although only 3 of the 6...)

Leon

Quote from: Wulf on 11 August 2014, 11:58:46 PM
...but then I realised I have two bottles of 860, one 860 Medium Flesh, one 860 Medium Fleshtone...

If the code number is the same then it's the same paint, just a different name on the label.  They have tweaked the names of some of the paints here and there, but the code numbers have always remained the same as far as I'm aware.  Sometimes they have a RAL code on the label as well, which is the universal code for the pigment makeup.  If that matches then they're identical.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Wulf

Quote from: Leon on 10 September 2014, 11:19:25 PMSometimes they have a RAL code on the label as well, which is the universal code for the pigment makeup. 
Slightly diverting my own topic here, but I misread that at first as RLM... which reminds me, what's the best Vallejo colour for RLM02? From those available via Pendraken, please (no Panzer Colors).

barbarian

2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I use Coat d'arms flesh, coz I'm sad like that...  ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

That makes two of us then, Will. Flesh and Sunburned Flesh are my standbys.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Still using Vallejo Flat Flesh over Burnt Umber.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 12 August 2014, 11:11:01 AM
I've got 017 Basic Skintone which I never use now because I discovered Flat flesh. I find Basic Skintone too light. Some Vallejo colours seem to require an inordinate amount of shaking before they will give up the part which enhances opacity.

Store them upside down.  Just make sure you have a needle or peice of wire handy before squeezing.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Have you come across their new extra opaque Game Colours yet?