My LOA non descript...

Started by Alan, 08 August 2014, 09:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

08 August 2014, 09:34:07 PM Last Edit: 08 August 2014, 11:21:24 PM by Leon
Enniskillen Protestants militia. But really can double up as everything else. When I look at them "in real life", as opposed to these photographs they look okay. I actually quite liked them. Now I am thinking... "dustpan and brush"... I am hoping its just because they are a bit manky being grey...

I've not done the command stands (well I have apart from the flags) as I am totally at a loss as to what flags to put on them. Plain red? Well it would make sense. Cross of St. George? Or one of those conjectural (that's posh for made up) versions?

If we don't get something at derby county tomorrow, they might all be heading for the dustbin anyway!

paulr

08 August 2014, 09:43:31 PM #1 Last Edit: 08 August 2014, 11:20:41 PM by Leon
These links should get you to the pics

Needed to include all the text in the url

I think the grey uniform is more than half the challenge, a colourful standard will definitely help. Certainly no need for the "dustpan and brush"
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

clibinarium

On the photobucket site, you'll see four different types of links listed on the right hand side, copy the one marked "direct" and paste it here.
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv353/alantodd_2009/DSC_0088_zps0c42c94f.jpg

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The figures are jolly decent though, good job.  8)
A colourful standard will set them off a treat.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Alan

I think as a team, we've got there! Well done all for the help. I think if I had started with something brighter it might have all looked a bit, well... brighter! The flag... Oh I have no idea really. Its a massive amount of indecision on my part.

clibinarium

No Flags are known for the early period. A good guess would be plain coloured fields with some sort of religious slogan, perhaps like the convenanters. I seem to recall that they were granted St. George's cross by William on his arrival in Ireland (That was a common emblem amongst Jacobite regiments too).

Alan

I am thinking of simple is best with flags. Of the 3 regiments I think one will have the crimson flag (like the defenders of Derry). The other 2 I think you are right. Slogans are the way to go. 

Techno

Look good to me !! 8)
Cheers - Phil

Subedai

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leon

Looking good!

I've edited the posts to show the images now as well.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Alan on 08 August 2014, 09:34:07 PM

If we don't get something at derby county tomorrow, they might all be heading for the dustbin anyway!

Why on earth would the result of a football match affect the decision to junk a perfectly well-painted unit? For shame, sir, for shame!  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Alan

There has been a disaster in Derby... However, after sketching out a few flag designs, these MAY avoid a trip to the pedal bin!

Glorfindel

10 August 2014, 10:24:29 AM #12 Last Edit: 10 August 2014, 10:29:56 AM by Glorfindel
The figures are fine.   Please don't bin them !

Some ideas for the flags here :

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/products-subcat-6-1.html

Might be worth asking on the LOA Forum to try and clarify whether
there are is any evidence for Protestant Militia Flags.   Seems like
a good place to start.

Regards,

Phil

Hertsblue

Quote from: Alan on 09 August 2014, 06:45:01 PM
There has been a disaster in Derby... However, after sketching out a few flag designs, these MAY avoid a trip to the pedal bin!

A disaster? One-nil? Away from home? With still another forty-odd matches to go? You cannot be serious!
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Bunny

Alan very nice mate I am looking forward tos eeing more....the more of us who paint these fantastic sculpts they may hurry up and cast some new ones!!!