Winterisedishtype Prussians

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 05 August 2014, 09:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

The Danes in greatcoat look to be a doddle to paint as well - black greatcoat, dark blue field cap. Incidentally Bruce Weigle's 1864 rules show that the battles tended to be pretty small as he has most of them in quarter scale, so maybe an opportunity to do something like RF&F.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chad

Embree lists 6th and 13th divisions.

6th Divn - 35, 60, 24 and 64. 11th Uhlans. 8x7dr Howitzers, 6x6dr rbl and 6x 12pdr sml
13th Divn - 13, 35,15 qnd 55. 7th Jager. Artillery as for 6th with extra 12pdr battery.
6th Cavalry Bgde - 6th Cuirassier and 3rd hussars - 4 x 12pdr sml
14th Cavalry bgde - 4th Cuirassier and 4th Hussars - 4 x 12pdr sml

Artillery reserve - Foot - 1 x howitzer battery, 2 x 6pdr batteries and 1 x 12pdr battery
                      - Horse - 4 x 6dr sml batteries

Don't forget the Austrian Corps

Chad

cameronian

Mollinary has said it all really; Mike Embree's BFW and Bruce's 1859 will give you all you need to know. Boring little war dontchathink ?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Chad is of course 100% right  >:(.   Only cos wot he is betterer than me at copying.  Swot  >:(.   chiz , chiz

Molesworthinary  :D ;) ;D

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Chad

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

julesav

The Austrian Corps is interesting as the infantry regiments present only field 2 battalions each.

There's also an interesting 'what if' option involving the Saxon and Hanoverians who were supposed to 'liberate' Schleswig-Holstein, but who were sort of (willingly?)  'brushed aside' by the 'big boys' so that Austria and Prussia could get 'all the glory'!

Bismark's first War has superb accounts of the actions. But Weigle's 1859/1864 has the better maps. Neil Thomas has 2 scenarios for the war in his 19th Century Wargaming book. There are only a couple of field actions between each 'allied' Corps and the Danes. Decisive battle is the Prussian storming of the Duppel fortress. This to my mind has strong affinities with Vauban era sieges!

I am however struggling to get a 'good fit' for rules and battle size as I'm concentrating on the rather small Sankelmark battle for now.  :(

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Photos of first test pieces done...
Thanks chaps.
Anyone got a good pictorial reference for the Danes?
ML
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 September 2014, 10:48:26 AM
Photos of first test pieces done...
ML

But not posted, apparently?!  :-\

Mollinary

cameronian

Think he's posted some at photos.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

mollinary

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Leman

So, did you get Danish opposition as well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

In reply to julesav's comment of 5 years ago about rules etc: I am rather proud of my scenario combining the battles of Dueppel / Dybbol and Als, published in the 'Bloody Big European Battles!' scenario book for the BBB rules. It covers actions between February and June 1864. The Prussians are under time pressure to take objectives before some European great power gets fed up and tells Bismarck to stop being a bully. It's a fun scenario and turns a dour siege and storm into an entertaining game.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/