any tips for a yank?

Started by Shecky, 25 July 2010, 05:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shecky

OK, being from Texas it's hard to call myself a Yank, but anyway...

I'm new to the Premier League fantasy games but I've been involved in American Football Fantasy Leagues for a time now.  Being a "Yank" there's a lot I have to learn about the Premier Fantasy League so I'm seeking some help.

I know with American Fantasy leagues it's essential to pick up players who score consistently.  In the American Football fantasy leagues a lot of the scoring is based on quarterbacks, widereceivers, runningbacks and sometimes, kickers.

So, my question is, being a Dumb American and starting off in my first year of Premier League fantasy football, what should I be looking at to judge the competency and value of my team?  Like I said with American football you usually focus on quarterbacks, WRs, RBs and kickers first before picking any other position.

I've looked at the cost of the player and last year's points of a player to determine who I'll chose for my team.  Is this usually how people determine who to place on their team?

I'm just trying to understand, in general, how people pick their players for EPL fantasy games.

So for instance, in American Football fantasy leagues, someone may pay a lot for Peyton Manning or Tony Romo because the are top rated quarterbacks. But they won't pay as much for other offensive or defensive players.  Is it the same in Premier League fantasy play?  So, in other words, if I pay a lot for Drogba who earned 242 points last year, and costs 12.5 million, is it worth it? And then pay 5.0 million for another player who only earned 90 points? Instead, wouldn't it be more beneficial if I paid roughly 8.0 million for a midfielder and a forward who combined to earn more than 300 points?

So I guess it is alot like American fantasy football; do I go for the high profile, high cost player and hope he scores a lot of points to do I go with the middle of the road player who scores consistently and gives up a few goals every now and then.

I'm just trying to learn the strategy behind the premier fantasy league.l

Caveat, I fully expect to come in last place in the Pendraken Fantasy League this year as I have no idea what I'm doing.

Leon

It does come down to whether you want to risk your money on a big buy like a Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney, who will always get you points, or whether you want to go for a more well-rounded team.  It's fairly easy to pick up though, so don't worry about it.  After a couple of weeks, you'll start to see which players might have a good season, so you can snap them up before the price gets too high.

And if it all goes wrong, you can play your Wildcard, which allows you to replace your entire team!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dazza

Quote from: Shecky on 25 July 2010, 05:05:07 AMCaveat, I fully expect to come in last place in the Pendraken Fantasy League this year as I have no idea what I'm doing.

You wont come last m8, thats why we have Middlesbro' fans :P

Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

Leon

Quote from: Dazza on 25 July 2010, 01:44:45 PM
You wont come last m8, thats why we have Middlesbro' fans :P

We'll see about that won't we!  I'll give you a wave from the top of the league at the end of the season!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dazza

Quote from: Leon on 25 July 2010, 03:24:29 PM
We'll see about that won't we!  I'll give you a wave from the top of the league at the end of the season!

you playing in a league on your own ?

8) 8)
Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.