Some photos by a relative taken in the Middle East 1917-1918

Started by Fenton, 04 July 2014, 12:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

paulr

Many thanks, very evocative and useful for my planned Middle East ITLSU project.

Any info on where they were taken, hopefully something useful written on the back of the photos?
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Good 'find', Steve.
As Paul says....Very evocative.
Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Very atmospheric and middle-eastern. I may have to do a crusades battle this weekend.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

Hi

there is no real writing on the back of them but the top was in a pile of Aleppo pictures so maybe its there

My relative was in the 2056th Motor Transport so from what I have read got about quite a bit

I am trying to get them all scanned in eventually..there is about 100 I think
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

WeeWars

Steve

Stunning to have a visual record of your relative's time in the Middle East during the First World War. There's lots of information there of interest. You have to give a thought for the poor guys with the chemicals in the heat, sometimes in stifling hot tents, developing the prints! Keep them coming! Much appreciated! Brilliant!

Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Some more

The man himself

This one says on the back 'Homs' Syria 1918

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

I actually edited them all  so they would look nice and a decent size and saved the changed versions and for some reason it still up loaded the originals

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: Fenton on 05 July 2014, 02:08:40 PM
The man himself

Interesting to see him wearing a cavalry lanyard, with its attachment for scraping horse hooves. Very useful in the 2056th Motor Transport  :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!