What's your silliest modelling tool?

Started by FierceKitty, 03 July 2014, 04:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Mine's probably the kebab skewer I use for reaming out flash; bought from a 100-yen bargain shop. But I'm sure some of you can find more creative or ridiculous items on your worktables.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

A small 'pastry roller' that I used to use to make flat sheets of milliput in varying thicknesses.
Only used when I was doing straight line stuff, so it hasn't been out of the drawer for years.

The weirdest one I've got is an old  'instrument' which was apparently used for letting 'gas' out of an animal's gut'.
A friend bought it for me, for a pound, 'cos he thought it might come in handy for modelling.
Never found a use for it.

Cheers - Phil

Sandinista

I have a suede brush I use to clean up 28mm figures

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 03 July 2014, 07:51:38 AM

The weirdest one I've got is an old  'instrument' which was apparently used for letting 'gas' out of an animal's gut'.
A friend bought it for me, for a pound, 'cos he thought it might come in handy for modelling.

It's referred to in Far from the Madding Crowd. Gabriel uses one to save a flock of sheep.

Techno

I'm sure that'll be the type of thing.
It's a very nicely made little metal 'thingy' which unscrews and fits together to make it 'work'.
There's what's effectively a short, sturdy little 'spear' about 5cm long, over which a tube with a collar fits.
I gather that the spear, covered by the 'tube', would be stabbed into the appropriate part of the animal....The collar would stop the whole thing going right into the gut ....The 'spear' would be withdrawn, and the gas (methane ?) would escape through the tube.

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

I have a very small paint scraper that takes a Stanley Knife blade, which I use to scrape the paint off the whiet ceramic kitche tile I use as a pallette

I also have loads of straws from Mcdonalds that I have cut to a fraction shorther than the pencil holder I use to keep my brushes in. The Strawes are then wedged into the pencil holder to allow the brushes to stand seperately.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

I use eyebrow tweezers to apply static grass.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Subedai

I have an eye-dropper to cover foliage with watered down PVA to cement it into place. Can also be used to place blobs of different coloured flocks/static grass on top of each other without getting bits stuck to the brush.

I also have an old darning needle with wire wound around the top and held in place by solder and a blob of solder on the top. Originally made in 1976 to pierce leather (SK days) now used to clear the nozzles of Vallejo paints.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 03 July 2014, 12:12:32 PM
I use eyebrow tweezers to apply static grass.

What ?.....You mean when you're not plucking your eyebrows, Andy ?
I use scissors on my eyebrows....Much quicker.
(Why DO eyebrows go so mad as you get older ?...I think we should be told !)

Cheers - Phil

Wulf

Best I can offer is a bottle of baby shampoo... Actually it's full of builder's PVA I have in a 10 litre bottle which is a bit big for general use...

FierceKitty

DON'T wash baby's hair while not quite awake! You'll have a little Celtic warrior in the house.

Wulf

Quote from: FierceKitty on 03 July 2014, 02:56:45 PM
DON'T wash baby's hair while not quite awake! You'll have a little Celtic warrior in the house.
Actually, there's never been a baby in this house in my time here, I have no idea where the bottle came from, which does make it a bit odder...  :-\

Leman

EYEBROW MADNESS - I think it's compensation for loss of other head hair.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Dentist's pliers, which I've had since I was at school, occasionally used to hold things together while the superglue dries. You can apply the same pressure as with normal pliers but the smaller surface area makes it easier to avoid gluing the pliers to the item(s) being held.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 03 July 2014, 12:51:57 PM

(Why DO eyebrows go so mad as you get older ?...I think we should be told !)

Cheers - Phil

Yes and why does it suddenly start sprouting out of your ears and nostrils. its either very lazy hair that should have come at puberty, but has dawdled, OR A second puberty which is why so many middle aged men suddenly discover girls/women again and have affairs or get divorced. :d :d
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson