ITLSU 1914 Project

Started by pierre the shy, 25 June 2014, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Thanks, must be particulary fun when going cross country, you can't even see the bumps coimg  :o

I wonder what you had to do wrong to get banished to that seat  ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Beats walking, any day.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

paulr

Quote from: Hertsblue on 04 July 2014, 08:33:33 AM
Beats walking, any day.  ;)

Hmmmm, I'm not so sure. You guys gallop ahead into battle, I'll walk and catch up with you  ;) ;) ;)

paulr

The first batch of British are now painted  :D :D :D

Will hopefully get them based this weekend. Probably won't get varnished till next weekend, far too cold and dark to varnish outside after work.

Will make sure I get the first batch of Germans under coated tomorrow so I have something to paint next week.

Off to play some WWI naval today  :D :D :D

paulr

Painted
63 Infantry, Dismounted cavalry & gunners
24 Cavalry
3 Guns
90 Total

pierre the shy

Paul showed me some pictures of the Brits he has finished - very nice.

The whole lot should be ready in time for Call To Arms next month, the annual convention put on by the Wellington Warlords here in Wellington.

Found this link http://dereksweetoys.com/2013/02/making-bocage-hedges-for-6mm/

so on making several metres of suitable hedges for the Arretez battlefield, painting buildings and yet more WW1 armoured cruisers!   

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Those hedges should help with the aesthetics of our game  ;)

paulr

Have been busy basing the British. I am not sure about the background colour I have used on the labels and am thinking about replacing them.

The plan is to use a khaki/brown background for the British and a Green/Grey for the Germans with the coloured boxes identifying which company the stand is in. I went with a light brown to try and tie in with the tone of the flock I am using but I think I have ended up making it stand out too much.

These still need a varnish so are a bit shiny but show the label colours, thoughts and comments welcome.

Leman

The cavalry look great, but I agree that the label colour is a bit brash. what about natural earth?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

It didn't look that brash when I put the labels on the plain bases ... strange how colours work, or in this case don't   :-\

So the British won't be varnished today  :( might as well wait for the new labels which will be printed on Monday or Tuesday on a colour laser printer  ;)

Will undercoat the first batch of Germans in another hour or so when it has warmed up a bit more...  :-w

In the meantime I will finish basing the British artillery  :)

paulr

Germans successfully undercoated despite one of those, "I'm sure I had a spare" moments  :-S ... had just enough left in the can.

I will buy a spare next Saturday from the local model / stationery shop (which is closed on Sundays). I always buy local when I can, hopefully it encourages them to keep trading  :)

British basing now finished  :) apart from the need to relabel  :( but they will look much better and its onlyy the first batch  :) :)

Techno

Look damn fine to me !! :-bd
Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Quote from: paulr on 06 July 2014, 05:44:39 AM

British basing now finished  :)

Good stuff , we dont want any of that foreign basing round here  :D

They look great by the way
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

WeeWars

Quote from: paulr on 05 July 2014, 09:49:26 PM
The plan is to use a khaki/brown background for the British and a Green/Grey for the Germans with the coloured boxes identifying which company the stand is in. I went with a light brown to try and tie in with the tone of the flock I am using but I think I have ended up making it stand out too much.

Looking good, Paul! I'm sure if you use the green of your base, the colour of the squares will stand out just as well with the white border around them. What do all the colours identify? I've got a different sort of flock in my latest WW1 blog post  :P  !

www.michaelscott.name/ww1/ww1blog/ww1blogpost0025.htm
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: WeeWars on 06 July 2014, 07:32:27 PM
Looking good, Paul! I'm sure if you use the green of your base, the colour of the squares will stand out just as well with the white border around them. What do all the colours identify? I've got a different sort of flock in my latest WW1 blog post  :P  !

I'm going to use green for the German labels so brown was an obvious choice for the British. We play with quite a few different players and also do demo games. Being able to easily identify which side bases are on helps those who can't identify them by their uniforms.

The 3 colours identify brigade, battalion & company. The British use; red, yellow, blue, green, based on WWII tank marking colours. So red, blue, yellow is first Brigade, third battalion, second company. Again makes it easy to tell who is who for casual gamers and the public. The Germans will use; white, red, yellow, blue, based on the WWI bayonet knots.

Love Really like your flock