Show report - Phalanx 2014

Started by Norm, 14 June 2014, 08:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

14 June 2014, 08:08:08 PM Last Edit: 14 June 2014, 08:10:56 PM by Norm
Had a great day today, here are some photographs and comments for anyone interested.

Link http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/phalanx-2014-wargame-show.html

paulr

Good report, interesting thoughts on supporting shows.

Our local 'model shop' is combined with a stationary/gift shop and I make a point of buying what I can there so they will keep stocking model stuff.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Nice report and some good points about shows in general.

Leon

Good to see you today and thanks for the report!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

FierceKitty

Quote from: paulr on 14 June 2014, 09:10:04 PM
Good report, interesting thoughts on supporting shows.

Our local 'model shop' is combined with a stationary/gift shop and I make a point of buying what I can there so they will keep stocking model stuff.

A mobile one would be of greater interest.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

FK are you suggesting a peripatetic wargames show? A sort of P. T. Barnum meets Gencon affair? Or am I misunderstanding the point you're trying to make?

Having a professional group moving round the country organising shows region by region would certainly have it's merits ... but also it's downsides. I imagine entry costs would rise at the  very least!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I quoted the previous poster (I thin it was the previous one) about shops. Mobile shops have worked at times. He specified that this one wasn't mobile.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 15 June 2014, 02:56:47 AM
I quoted the previous poster (I thin it was the previous one) about shops. Mobile shops have worked at times. He specified that this one wasn't mobile.

OK, I'm officially lost. Why are we talking mobile shops?

Mobile wargames shops? No thanks, I have enough problem tracking down the static ones!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Annoyed that I didn't make it to my local show - again!

Damn family commitments getting in the way of my hobby!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 June 2014, 03:14:05 AM
OK, I'm officially lost. Why are we talking mobile shops?

Mobile wargames shops? No thanks, I have enough problem tracking down the static ones!

Are the pair of you being deliberately obtuse? FK is only exercising the right of all sentient beings to be pedantic at need.  Stationary = stopped; stationery = writing paper.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ric

Great report, looks like it was a good day!

one thing I don't get is the general disdain for backpacks! The other alternative is bags in hands that whack folk in the shins, add to the width of the individual, and ensures a monumental struggle with the blister pack racks as you wrestle them with one hand all tied up...

I always wear a backpack at shows but I am careful to ensure I don't knock into people too much! Also, how can I possibly hide all my purchases from my wife without it..

Ithoriel

Quote from: Hertsblue on 15 June 2014, 08:36:54 AM
Are the pair of you being deliberately obtuse? FK is only exercising the right of all sentient beings to be pedantic at need.  Stationary = stopped; stationery = writing paper.

Doh! Of course, it's FK, I should have known to check spelling rather than content :)

Hadn't spotted Paul's mistype.

Makes much more sense now.

My only defence is that it was 3am!