A Tribute to Mad Lemmy

Started by DanJ, 13 June 2014, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Very nice looking army, must be fun getting that chariot in a coracle   ;) ;D

It is interesting how a players morale can fail before the armies  :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DanJ

QuoteIt is interesting how a players morale can fail before the armies 

I've noticed this before, and almost always in a campaign setting, I think it underlines one of the key aspects and advantages of playing in a campaign, especially one with multiple players.

A player in a campaign can't afford to loose or indeed risk loosing by such a margin that he is weakened to the extent that his future in the campaign is put at risk.  Players become much more circumspect and I see the "it's nearly the end of the evening so I'll try one mad charge which my opponent won't have time to react to even if I loose" situations occuring far less in campaigns where it's almost always about husbanding resources to ensure having a force sufficient to carry on. 

In fact in some campaigns I've run the players actually spend most of their time trying to aviod fighting each other as the concequences can be catastrophic in campaign terms, in these situations war is "carried on by other means" which include spying, muder, raiding and gtrying to get others to do the dangerous fighting for you, al of which is quite historic.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Fenton

Quote from: DanJ on 26 September 2014, 09:41:52 AM
I've noticed this before, and almost always in a campaign setting, I think it underlines one of the key aspects and advantages of playing in a campaign, especially one with multiple players.

A player in a campaign can't afford to loose or indeed risk loosing by such a margin that he is weakened to the extent that his future in the campaign is put at risk.  Players become much more circumspect and I see the "it's nearly the end of the evening so I'll try one mad charge which my opponent won't have time to react to even if I loose" situations occuring far less in campaigns where it's almost always about husbanding resources to ensure having a force sufficient to carry on. 

In fact in some campaigns I've run the players actually spend most of their time trying to aviod fighting each other as the concequences can be catastrophic in campaign terms, in these situations war is "carried on by other means" which include spying, muder, raiding and gtrying to get others to do the dangerous fighting for you, al of which is quite historic.

Me and another player once won a campaign by not doing any fighting at all and persuading all the other nations to have a go at each other
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

DanJ

QuoteLoose what?
....... probably morals

Damn, the problem of being dyslexic and relying on the spell checker :'(

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 26 September 2014, 09:47:05 AM
Loose what?

The dogs of war?

The fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hertsblue

Elastic? Who knows what might fall off....
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net