Just for mollinary - Wood stacks!

Started by Leon, 12 June 2014, 03:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

We recently had a chat with mollinary, who was on the lookout for some wood stacks to pop on his table as a scenery item.  Something like the one on the cover of this book:

After a bit of email correspondence, and a bit of spare time on the part of one of our sculptors, these arrived this week:

These should be a very handy little feature for all manner of games throughout the 18th/19th centuries, so hopefully folk like them!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Why not use cocktail sticks.....

Even the containers are useful.......

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

One less item you have to make for yourself.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

mollinary

12 June 2014, 10:06:12 AM #4 Last Edit: 12 June 2014, 10:16:48 AM by mollinary
Leon,

You and your sculptor are Heroes!   :o  :o  :o  Those are fabulous. When will they be available?  Will they be resin or metal?   Packs of how many?   By coincidence, I just finished yesterday a batch of scratch build ones myself!  And yes, I did use cocktail sticks!  But it was very fiddly work, and I don't know how long it would take me to steel myself to do another batch (the first one is 21 bases, each stack based on one of my standard infantry 25mm x 20mm bases).  At least it allowed me to work out how I will paint the versions I will buy from Pendraken, or Minibits, whichever produces them.  They seem to me to be hugely versatile, not only for dotting around forest scenes, but also something for every house's back garden.  After all, firewood was an ever present requirement before the twentieth century, and even during it.

Bravo Leon!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

Those work really well !
What are they made out of ?
Cheers - Phil

Dazza

Quote from: Techno on 12 June 2014, 10:41:33 AM
Those work really well !
Cheers - Phil

Trees  ;D

:d :d

Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

Techno

Leman

Brilliant; must get me some of those when they become available.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

Glad everyone likes them!

Quote from: ianrs54 on 12 June 2014, 08:42:15 AM
Why not use cocktail sticks.....

Because these save hours of work!  And cocktail sticks would be 3/4mm or so, so nearly 2ft thick logs at 10mm scale, quite big for a domestic wood pile!

Quote from: Techno on 12 June 2014, 10:41:33 AM

He's used 1mm plastic rod for them.

Quote from: mollinary on 12 June 2014, 10:06:12 AM
When will they be available?

With them being plastic they'll need to go into a low-temp mould, so I'll have to check and see if we've got enough masters to fill one here.

Will they be resin or metal?

Metal.

Packs of how many?

Not sure yet, we'll have to see how many we can fit in a mould, but I'd imagine somewhere between 10-20 per pack.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mollinary

12 June 2014, 01:54:23 PM #10 Last Edit: 12 June 2014, 02:10:33 PM by Leon
Quote from: Leon on 12 June 2014, 01:34:43 PM
Glad everyone likes them!

Because these save hours of work!  And cocktail sticks would be 3/4mm or so, so nearly 2ft thick logs at 10mm scale, quite big for a domestic wood pile!
Right on both counts! My attempts have only three or four layers, and the four high ones are shoulder height on my figures.
He's used 1mm plastic rod for them.

With them being plastic they'll need to go into a low-temp mould, so I'll have to check and see if we've got enough masters to fill one here.

Metal.

Not sure yet, we'll have to see how many we can fit in a mould, but I'd imagine somewhere between 10-20 per pack.

Great. I will be ordering as soon as they are available!

8)

cameronian

" ... hunderten von Holzstoessen klafterweise aufgeschlichtet."

Splendid, now we can do the Svib, BTW how long is a cord?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Ithoriel

Quote from: cameronian on 12 June 2014, 03:34:16 PM

Wikepedia says:

"A cord is the amount of wood that, when "ranked and well stowed" (arranged so pieces are aligned, parallel, touching and compact), occupies a volume of 128 cubic feet (3.62 m3). This corresponds to a well stacked woodpile 4 feet (122 cm) high, 8 feet (244 cm) long, and 4 feet (122 cm) deep"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Quote from: cameronian on 12 June 2014, 03:34:16 PM

Depends.  The above quote refers to the Canadian or US cord, which is the one I first came to. However, if you Goggle "klafter" and look at images, in about the third row down is a rather hippyish looking chap holding a stick with both hands and his arms outstretched. It is a link to a little German  "what is" sort of video on weights and measures. Quite interesting.  Looking at klafter on wiki will give you all sorts of old German and Austrian measures for it. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Mollinary