What happens ?....Scottish Independence.

Started by Techno, 10 June 2014, 08:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

So....If I've understood correctly, if Scotland votes for independence this September, it becomes independent in March of 2016. (I think that's right.)

Now.....As there's an election scheduled for the 'whole of' the UK in 2015.....What happens to all the Scottish seats in Westminster ?
Are these 'voided' from the 2015 UK election ?...Or do the prospective Scottish MPs get to sit in Westminster until Scotland becomes independent, and then 'kicked out' as their seats no longer represent part of the UK.
Are there other options ?
Anyone know ? :-\

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil the only thing known is nothing - isn't this the "Mid-Lothian" question, and insoluble.

Only thing I do know is that if Wales tries for independence the "Free Flint" movement will appear, demanding annexation by England.

IanS

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sandinista

"Free Flint" ? Sounds like a neolithic protest group  ;)

Hertsblue

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Understandable when you consider the Flint accent sounds almost scouse.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ric

From a BBC interview about the white paper :

"Sovereignty will be fully exercised by the people of Scotland from the point Scotland becomes independent on 24 March 2016," it explained.

"Until that point, the people of Scotland must be represented politically at the UK level. Scotland will therefore elect MPs to Westminster to represent Scotland up until the date of independence."

So according to this it claims that we should keep seats in the house, but come 24th March Scottish seat holders will pretty much stand up and walk over the border...

Hertsblue

Quote from: Ric on 10 June 2014, 11:20:53 AM

"Sovereignty will be fully exercised by the people of Scotland from the point Scotland becomes independent on 24 March 2016," it explained.

"Until that point, the people of Scotland must be represented politically at the UK level. Scotland will therefore elect MPs to Westminster to represent Scotland up until the date of independence."

So according to this it claims that we should keep seats in the house, but come 24th March Scottish seat holders will pretty much stand up and walk over the border...

That should be a sight to see.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

DanJ

Quotebut come 24th March Scottish seat holders will pretty much stand up and walk over the border

Don't be silly, they'll go first class by train to Carlisle or Berwick upon Tweed and after that.....

Who cares, with the union in tatters and King Eric on his thrones it's every nation for itself  :(

Ithoriel

Quote from: DanJ on 10 June 2014, 12:02:28 PM
Don't be silly, they'll go first class by train to Carlisle or Berwick upon Tweed and after that.....

Who cares, with the union in tatters and King Eric on his thrones it's every nation for itself  :(

King Eric??

Personally I don't see independence happening as things stand, despite the Better Together campaign doing their damndest to alienate the Scottish voters and bring about independence!!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ric

Mark my words...if England win the world cup, we will be independent, haha! :p

Techno

Quote from: Ric on 10 June 2014, 11:20:53 AM

Thanks Ric.... :)
So.....If we end up with some sort of coalition, or Government, in Westminster that depends on some of the MPs North of the border, we'll probably have another election in 2016 ?
Oh....the fun ! ;)

Quote from: Ithoriel on 10 June 2014, 12:07:24 PM
......., despite the Better Together campaign doing their damndest to alienate the Scottish voters and bring about independence!!

I'm so glad somebody else thinks that. ;)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

10 June 2014, 12:56:38 PM #11 Last Edit: 10 June 2014, 12:58:17 PM by fsn
I predict
  2016, Scotland becomes independent
  2017 England votes under Prime Minister Farrage (or Cameron) to come out of Europe
   2018 Scotland still hasn't been accepted as a member of the EU so
   2020 The UK of GB and NI is reunited. 

:P
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DanJ

QuoteKing Eric??

Eric, Alex.....

They all look the same to me  :-[

Now I think I need to go and lie down

Ithoriel

Quote from: DanJ on 10 June 2014, 03:15:33 PM
Eric, Alex.....

They all look the same to me  :-[

Now I think I need to go and lie down

See, that's the sort of comment pushing Scots towards independence :)

No certainty that Salmond would lead an independent Scotland, of course. It's likely he would but we would have to elect a Scottish government after independence was agreed. Who knows what new parties might arise or what old ones might appeal to an newly independent electorate.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

GordonY

Personally I think the "Better Together" campaign was a big mistake, wee fat Alec is doing his damndest to make sure the vote fails. On the other hand its definitly in the Tories favour to get rid of Scotland, there would never be another Labour government in Westminster.