Football World Cup 2014

Started by fsn, 08 June 2014, 08:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel abut the impending football world cup?

Great! I've been looking forward to this for 4 years!
3 (12.5%)
I'm going to watch every match!
2 (8.3%)
I'll catch a few games
9 (37.5%)
Oh no! Not that again!
7 (29.2%)
The football what now?
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: 15 June 2014, 08:25:20 AM

fsn

Gentlemen and Gentlewomen of the forum,

It has come to that time when the football world cup is upon us again. For me this is several weeks of mild irritation and avoiding most news programs because they will invariably spend far too much time on a number of chaps getting excited about a spheroid.

Am I alone in my dismay? Do you too dread conversations beginning "did you see the match ..." or have you got the stats memorised? Have you started a football avoiding Pendraken project or have you covered you picture of Gustavus Adolphus with a world cup wall chart? Have you dug out your boxed set of Das Boot or are you setting your painting table in front of the TV?

I'm particularly interested in the contribution from those nations where football is known as "soccer".
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

can't wait! will watch every game (try and get some painting done during some of the more obscure matches).
I'm guessing I'm in a severe minority  :D 
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Ithoriel

What is this ... this ... footballworldcup of which you speak?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

I shall be watching it and trying to paint  as well,though with the time differences involved I think I shall miss some of it
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fred.

I'm not a big football fan, but I do like the World Cup, mainly because the skill level is generally high , and there are usually some really good matches.

I'll catch the games I can, but won't be aiming to stay up extra late to watch them - though my wife ( who has always been more of a football fan ) seems to be keen to watch matches, she even stayed up to match the second part of the first half of last night's weather affected game, though the main outcome of that seems to be desire to bury Adrain Chiles in a large hole!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Don't think I'll be watching many (if any) of the live games...The highlights will do for me.
Probably listen to some of it, on the radio, as I drift off to sleep.
Might watch the final depending on what time it's on...And depending on who's playing.
Cheers - Phil

Leman

Football..... (:|.... it's not that I'm unfit, it's just that I need more than a field to exercise in, e.g. a mountain or three.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

My wife will watch more than me I'm sure. Frankly the first round matches I find rather boring; for me it gets more interesting in the knock-out stages.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Neither Vanuatu nor Samoa made it out the group stages, so I'll have to buy a new shirt for the school sweepstake!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ric

I'll watch it if it happens to be on the TV when I'm in front of it. I'll more likely watch a game involving Argentina as I got them in the works sweepstakes.

Also...Brazilian ladies...

Hertsblue

I might catch the odd game. My wife and I have an agreement, I don't make her watch a lot of football and she doesn't make me watch soaps.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

petercooman

Maybe some of the final games.

Mind you, i usually say that and end up watching Not a single one.  ;D

Ithoriel

Does the fact that I only realised a few days ago that THIS world cup is in Brazil and not Qatar and that the hoo-ha is about an event eight years off indicate my level of interest?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

Quote from: fred    12df on 08 June 2014, 10:09:25 PM
Or just your age  :d   :)

Old enough to know better than to waste time watching football, you mean?  :P ;D ;D