Froeshwiller Project

Started by Leman, 07 June 2014, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

This project has slowed down a little of late owing to the influence of Mad Lemmey (in a good way) and a playtest of an FPW adaptation of Altar of Freedom. The reasoning was that at last I would be able to get the likes of Froeshwiller and Mars la Tour on a reasonable size table. To do this it's goodbye battalions and hello regiments. A European regiment at this time was a similar size to an ACW brigade (which is the basic single base unit in Altar of Freedom). Lemmey fits in in the sense that I wanted to show an active regimental base, so I settled on the 60x60mm as a diorama:

As you can see, it's very Mad Lemmey influenced. So far two divisions of I corps have been prepared:

Meanwhile the Prussians have acquired a little more colour. Must admit to finding the painting of brass quite arduous but it looks better from wargaming distance:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I was worried I had done something wrong that had put you off DP, but cracking bases, so impressive. 8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The guns! Love that idea! :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Love the look, will allow you to play a reduced version of Volley and Bayonet as well.  For the Prussian Artillery officers in the rear rank, are you doing the cuffs red first, so that you can cover with black and so leave a thin bit of red piping showing? If so, clever idea, I have a lot of Prussian gunners to paint, so I may steal it!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

The two officers without swords are going to be painted up as fusilier adjutants, with the sash over the shoulder, but you are right about me painting artillery cuffs that way. The artillery are based up as a 12 gun base. The presence of the mitrailleuse adds extra adjusters at shorter ranges, but they are on narrower bases as they are in 6 gun batteries and the German gunners may well want to try and knock them out.

Techno

Those look cracking, DP !  8)
The bases look terrific.
Cheers - Phil.

Leman

Always try to do justice to your stuff.

fred.

Very nice looking force.

Is this style of basing now officially known as the Lemmy style?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

I think it ought to be as it's where my inspiration came from. Having said that I do think it's the sort of basing which does real justice to 10mm figures (and 6mm for that matter).

Techno

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 23 June 2014, 07:26:25 PM
Always try to do justice to your stuff.

Not me Guv'  ;)......I'd have liked to take the credit though.
Cheers - Phil

paulr

I did somthing similar with my 6mm Napoleonics, based on 3" square bases for Volley & Bayonet. The Brigades of each Division used a common formation which helped tie them together visually on the table. For example one Division had the battalions of its brigades all in line, another division all in columns...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Excellent, DP. The French colours are particularly well done.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Quote from: Techno on 23 June 2014, 08:48:42 PM
Not me Guv'  ;)......I'd have liked to take the credit though.
Cheers - Phil
I wonder who did them then. I thought they were very much in your style Phil.

Andy

Techno

The 'Boss' would know.   :)
I was going to write that I only tend to do the 'Ancients' and some of the more 'Modern' stuff......
Thinking about it, though......I seem to fly around all over the place.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Leman