Q of the Week: What scales...?

Started by Leon, 19 July 2010, 09:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

What other scales do you play in? 

Which is your preferred scale?

Are there any scales you would never consider? 

Do we have any 10mm-only gamers?

(Alright, questions of the week...   :P)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Nosher

Other scales?

Primarily 6mm for BKC, CWC and FWC, Principles of War ECW, Zulu Wars and FPW
15mm for Napoleonics and AWI
28mm for Weird War WW2

Preference of scale?

6mm simply because of storage issues and I also have shitloads of scenery covering parctically every era and dont want to have to invest in yet another scale.

I am considering 10mm for AWI and possibly SYW and I own matching Pendraken Aliens & Colonial Marines FWC armies with an intent of buying a dungeons starter pack.

Scales I'd never consider
2mm, although I did own some 2mm stuff when I was about 13 or 14 :-[

10mm only gamer?
I seriously doubt I would ever be a one scale man
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Derk G

I currently own:

6mm for:

• 1980's BAOR
  • 1944 Russian

10mm for

• Vietnam USMC
  • NVA

15mm for:

• AK47
  • 1944 Germans
  • 1915 French
  • 1815 Prussian
  • Anglo-Norman dark ages
  • Epirote Macedonian Succesor
  • Samurai (Oda)
  • Fantasy Plains Elves (think mongol-inspired elves)
  • Fantasy Orcs

25mm for:

• Individual figures
  • Various SF
  • Mordheim Empire
  • Napoleonic French & British for Sharpe Practice (if I ever get around to painting them)

I have not listed all the assorted unpainted junk with exception of the 25mm Napoleonic as I actually have serious plans there. Oh, and I probably forgot the odd box or two...

Luddite

Quote from: Leon on 19 July 2010, 09:30:42 PM

Currently:

28mm for skirmish gaming (or similar)
10mm for 'unit' level games.

PReviously did a lot of 15mm gaming, it being the scale of choice for ancients (perticularly DBM), but we've converted over to 10mm as a replacement.

QuoteWhich is your preferred scale?

It depends what mood i'm in and what i'm gaming.
I like 28mm as it allows me to take a bit more time and efoort on the painting, but there's really something to be said for the 'mass effect' of 10mm figures!

QuoteAre there any scales you would never consider? 

2mm.  I means seriously?  What's the point?  I even struggle with 6mm frankly...far too fiddly.  Although Dark Realm Miniatures do some ver nice models...

In terms of scale though i've always felt it odd that wargamers didn't cash in on the ready made terrain possibilities of matching scales with 00-gauge railway models...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

lentulus

My SF is all 6mm.  A back burner project at the moment.

My Italian wars is 15mm

We are doing a "club project" ECW, so I will have (or 2, depending on the rules we settle on) regiments of 28mm.

Seven Years War at 10mm

WWII at 10mm

My most game-able forces are both 10mm.

nikharwood

Other scales:

2mm:
Ancients [Alexander's Macedonians, Darius's Persians, Poros's Indians]
Napoleonics [Russians & French, 1812 campaign]
ACW [Union & Confederate]
Crimean [Russian, British & Turkish]
Modern [Arab, Israeli c1982]
Sci-fi [Land Ironclads]

6mm:
WW2 [Early War: German, French, Polish, Russian]
Modern [USMC, Chinese, SADF, Angolan, French NATO]
Sci-fi [Imperial Guard, Eldar, PacFed, Eurofed]

10mm: [preferred scale]
ECW [Royalist, Parliamentarian]
SYW [Austrians, Prussians]
Napoleonic [Peninsular: British, French]
ACW [Union, Confederate]
SCW [Nationalist, Republican
WW2 [Desert: Afrika Korps, 8th Army]; NWE: German Army, Fallschirmjager, SS, British Paras, US Army, US Airborne D-Day
Modern [Vietnam: Australian Army, US Airborne, NVA, Viet Cong; Soviet-Afghan: Soviet Army, Mujahideen; Gulf War: British Army, US Army, Iraqi Army; Balkans: KFOR US, KFOR Germans, Serbian Army]

28mm:
Napoleonic [Peninsular skirmish a la Sharpe - French, British, Spanish]
Ultra-Moderns [Afghanistan / Iraq: Italian Alpini, US Rangers, British Royal Marines / SBS, French Foreign Legion, Bundeswehr, PMC, Taliban, Iraqi insurgents]
Modern Horror [SWAT, hunters, Vampires & Thralls, Werewolves, Daemons, Bugs, Zombies etc...]
Fantasy [Mordheim; Warhammer Fantasy: Chaos / Beastmen, Tomb Kings; skirmish: various...]
Sci-fi [40k Imperial Guard, Necron; 'other' various...]

Never consider:
15mm - hate it with a vengeance: it's the scale that can't make its mind up...not enough detail, not enough massed-effect...

10mm only?
Nah - it's my true love, but dalliance / variety is good  8)

Derk G

Quote from: nikharwood on 19 July 2010, 11:53:11 PM
Never consider:
15mm - hate it with a vengeance: it's the scale that can't make its mind up...not enough detail, not enough massed-effect...

Beg to differ. There's some 15mm with amazing detail. A&B for napoleonics, demonworld for fantasy etc. However I will grant you that Pendraken 10mm is delivering a similar level to a substantial part of the 15mm manufacturers.

For me the huge advantage of 15mm over 25mm is that I can paint 15mm units and just get frustrated with 25mm units.

Similar, 10mm allows me to plan to finish an army in a relatively short timetable, whereas with 15mm it still takes me a bloody long time.

(Then again perhaps I am slightly insane in e.g. planning a 700-odd orcish army in 15mm...)

Sandinista

6mm - Italian Wars, it looks great when you have over 1000 figs per army on the table - lots of flags and colour
15mm Wars of Roses plus Scots
20mm WW2 mid war Russians and Germans
28mm hordes of Saxons and Vikings, Wars of Roses skirmish, ECW skirmish

Which is your preferred scale?
Unable to decide, as all have good and bad sides

Are there any scales you would never consider?
2mm - why not just use counters?
anything larger than 28mm

Do we have any 10mm-only gamers?
I could never limit myself to one scale as I like lots of toys  ;D

SV52

Other scales? - 15mm, 1/72, 25/28mm

Preferred?  Hard one as I like them all including 10mm.  At present 1/72 probably due to lots of bang for buck factor as well as ranges and quality improving.

Never consider?  Anything less than 10mm, not enough patience to paint the number of figures needed for a decent-looking army.

10mm only?  If I was starting out again, this is something I would give serious consideration to.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

DanJ

I started off in 28mm and sill have my original romans, many of whom are old enough to have fought for Trajan.

I'm now very much into 10mm, WW1, WW2, ancients and I've just sold all my 15mm ancients to be replaced by 10s, although I'm going to keep my 15mm Renaissance collection because it's so big.

Dan

sultanbev

6mm WW2 and modern (3500 models & 2000+ painted infantry)
1/3000 19th ironclad naval
15mm Napoleonics (c5000 figures painted and I darne't count the 5 boxes of unpainted...)
20mm moderns
25mm/28mm LoTR fantasy (with my kids)

But I paint 2mm, 6mm, 1/3000, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 54mm for my day job.

I'll probably switch to 10mm when you make all the moderns I need and I can't see 6mm, in about 30 years time... 8)

Wouldn't consider 2mm, or "28mm", preferred scales 6mm and 20mm (due to the massive plastics ranges available)

Mark

Steve J

6mm BAOR battlegroup for CWC.

10mm for BKC and BP in the future.

15mm for BKC/PBI/FoW.

28mm for WWII RoE, LoTHS, Mordheim and LoTR.

Would never game below 6mm scale and 20mm just doesn't work for me.

MooseDontBounce

6mm
  Napoleonic
  Iran-Iraq War

10mm
  Early WW2

15mm
  WW2 (Not mine.  My friend has a large setup)

I've used 6mm for Napoleonics since the early 1980's.  I REALLY like the 10mm stuff but I just can't throw out all those H&R, Adler, and Baccus figures.

I am looking into Revolution era & early Napoleonics (1790's - 1805)  Since those uniforms are totally different, I might be convinced to use 10mm if I could find the proper figures.

Dale

lentulus

Preferred and Never Do are interesting questions.

Under 6mm I would do the new 1:600 moderns if there was anyone else here who would try them.  We are all loosing our near vision.

I have some 1:600 river naval tucked away, and of course once you are into naval the whole question of scale changes.  I don't see myself doing a lot of it, though.  Maybe 1:2400 SYW at sea; at 1:1200 or larger there is too much rigging.

Larger?

One of my friends is into 40mm for big battles; needs too much space for me but I could see doing it for skirmish.

So I guess there are no absolute "never consider"

Preferred is 10mm, and that is not brown-nosing.  I can paint them at a good clip and they look good on the table.

Patrick R

For figures I'm trying to stick to 10mm and 28mm.

I have ships and spaceships in other scales.