Late 17th/Early 18th Century Ottoman Sipahi

Started by Hwiccee, 17 May 2014, 11:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwiccee

Hi all,

On another thread I talked about how I was going to portray Ottoman Sipahi of the period 1680-1720. At this time the better the troops are the less they use out of ate weapons/equipment. In essence my idea was to show the various types by cutting off varying amounts of lances & shields - the lances I cut down to look like swords/pistols/carbines.

The plan is to work on groups of 10 bases for the Ottoman cavalry - I use bases of 5 figures. I will have in each group 2 Kapakulu (elite Sipahi) bases , 4 European Sipahi bases, 3 Asian bases and 1 allied light horse base (tartars/wallachians/etc). There were more allied light horse than this but they usually didn't feature in field battles so I have not bothered getting too many. I plan to cut off all the lances of the Kapakulu bases and all but 2 of the lances on the European base. The Asian bases will use the figures as they come. Similarly I have cut off the shields of the figures along similar lines.

I got 1 pack each of OT3 and OT4 which with some command I mixed together to make the bases.

So first we have an Asian base - 5 lance armed figures

Next a European base - 2 not very good shots. Note - the very fuzzy guy at the far end has a carbine.

Next a Kapakula base.

Here are all 3 together - sorry not a great shot.

Finally some shots of all 7 bases done so far - 1 kapakula, then 3 European and 3 Asian at the back.

I think it will work and doesn't take too long to cut the figures.

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Nice stuff, that man !....Like 'em.
Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

They're colourful little chaps. I admire anyone who can paint recognisable symbols on a 10mm figure.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Hwiccee

Thanks for the kind words guys. Can I ask you for feedback on the 'conversions'? I have put pictures of a selection of bases up so that you can hopefully see that I have taken away some shields and converted some lances to swords/pistols/carbines (although the carbines are difficult to see). Do these 'work'?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

I considered something similar in conversions for the ones I recently posted the WIPs of - but decided in the end the figures were nice enough not to worry about it, and I'm more likely to mangle them in the process - yours look good though from those shots :)

The carbine armed guys look good, even in fuzzy vision - it clearly looks like a musket!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting