'First Look' Carthaginian pics!

Started by Techno, 20 October 2011, 08:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

20 October 2011, 08:25:54 PM Last Edit: 18 January 2012, 06:40:07 PM by Leon

And some of the Carthaginians that are all but finished (Though I'm not sure if the Iberian swordsman is really surplus to requirements.)

Sorry the pic isn't quite as sharp as I'd like....but here are the remainder of the Carthaginian 'infantry'.

There will be one more for certain....The Iberian swordsman from the first photo will be getting a 'colleague' in the shape of the one that Bertie suggested...i.e a spear and large scutum....The chap second from the left above has a 'feed' to the bottom of his spear...designed to be chopped out.....But you all knew that already  ;)

Hope they're OK !

Cheers - Phil.

jchaos79

look awesome, great work!! specially the archers and the first from the left. Great poses, very nice detail!

jchaos79

The iberian with the falcata, seems great to me

Techno

Thanks Guys...

The 'basic' Carthaginians should be on their way to that nice Mr Leon early next week....Which leaves the 'extra' Iberian chap...The elephant and crew...And some cavalry to do to finish the range off for the time being !
Cavalry will take a little longer to do, as I've got some 'plain' horse dollies to completely finish....Before they go up to Pendraken HQ for casting.

Cheers - Phil

Techno

Thanks again, jchaos !

Cheers - Phil.

Squirrel

Excellent stuff as usual Phil 8)

CHeers,

Kev

Hertsblue

Great figures. Almost makes me want to give up my forty-year prejudice against ancients.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Thanks Hertsblue !

As Nik just said in the Flying carpet thread, "You know you want to,"  ;)

Cheers - Phil.

Techno

Urbinoprince

Quote from: jchaos79 on 22 October 2011, 07:48:18 PM
look awesome, great work!! specially the archers and the first from the left. Great poses, very nice detail!

To be most candid, I liked the figures, but not necessarily as Carthaginians, Vikings perhaps. Why? Archers? I realize that the carthaginians employed mauretanians as archers, but I think more of the balearics and other ethnics as the preferred skirmish types. They should be a great addition but I would like to see a more African cast to these figures. Also, I did not get the chill factor that I was facing the best of the best- the Libyan-Phoenician mediuym/heavy infantry. Was there anything uniquely Carthaginian about these figures? Also, some like two greaves and others one. Do people want to paint a whole phalanx of men holding their spear with one hand so high in the air? Then there is the issue as to how long the spears were? For this reason, I liked better the two spearmen holding the spear horizontal to the ground.   :-\ 

Leman

I particularly like the advancing spearman. They look like they would also make good Spartans.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Quote from: Urbinoprince on 24 October 2011, 06:35:52 PM
To be most candid, I liked the figures, but not necessarily as Carthaginians, Vikings perhaps. Why? Archers? I realize that the carthaginians employed mauretanians as archers, but I think more of the balearics and other ethnics as the preferred skirmish types. They should be a great addition but I would like to see a more African cast to these figures. Also, I did not get the chill factor that I was facing the best of the best- the Libyan-Phoenician mediuym/heavy infantry. Was there anything uniquely Carthaginian about these figures? Also, some like two greaves and others one. Do people want to paint a whole phalanx of men holding their spear with one hand so high in the air? Then there is the issue as to how long the spears were? For this reason, I liked better the two spearmen holding the spear horizontal to the ground.   :-\ 

Hi Urbinoprince...

I'm afraid, as usual, I'm relying on others' research for the basis for these models....(Ahem) Mostly Osprey books ....... It'll be up to Leon & Dave...But I'd never be surprised if the range was expanded at some time in the future....(some possibilties for me to do some quick conversions perhaps) Where possible I've tried to be as true to the artwork in the books as I can at this scale (but in some cases who knows if that's absolutely spot on ?)....

Cheers - Phil.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Urbinoprince on 24 October 2011, 06:35:52 PM
I have to second this opinion. They don't look much like the Carthaginians one would expect from historical and archaeological sources, and my reaction was also that there was a dark ages feel to several.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Points taken on board FK !

I think my photography skills (HAH !) have let me down more than the models themselves....I think (hope) you'd like them more if you saw them 'in the flesh'.

Cheers - Phil.

FierceKitty

Don't get me wrong. I like the models. I'd just be inclined to use 'em under a different flag (but for the fact that I play only pike-and-shot and SYW these days, after a youth trying to cover every conflict known to history).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.