Austrian Uhlan

Started by Rob, 30 December 2013, 12:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Hi All,

I hope you have all had and still are having a good Christmas break. I have been meaning to upload these pictures for a while. Leon answered a request I made for the lancer figures to have a second-rank sword armed version. This is because I base my both my infantry and cavalry in 2 ranks and it was normal for Napoleonic lancer regiments to have a front rank of lance/sabre/pistol armed men and a second rank of sabre/pistol/carbine armed men.

My painting is just average and my photography doesnt help,  :-[ But here goes anyway.  :) :D

Cheers, Rob  :)

Techno

Good stuff Rob.

Re the photos......Try experimenting with the distance you take your piccies from.
Looks like you're getting a little too close to the figures.....Even if you have a macro facility on your camera, this isn't always the best idea, because the depth of field can be so narrow.
If you take the shot from a little further away you'll end up with more in focus.....and you can always tweak the pic on the PC to 'blow them up' a bit.

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Apart from the blur (they are moving quickly) those really look the part. Great work sir. 8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Techno offing advice on electronic media  :-\  ;)

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

WeeWars

Hi Rob,

At 1:50, I only have 18 Uhlans in total on my painting list. Most probably to be based in open order – and not in two ranks.

Thanks for the chance to see what the figs look like en masse in close order in two ranks. They're great uniforms.

Cheers, Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 30 December 2013, 10:40:06 AM
He was a photographer!

The word "was", being the most apt. :D
Cheers - Phil.

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 30 December 2013, 05:52:36 PM
The word "was", being the most apt. :D
Cheers - Phil.

Why did you give up?...Did you become allergic to Silver nitrate?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

OI !! I'm not that old.......Oh....I forgot.....I am ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil.

petercooman

Nice!! Love the mass effect!! 

This is not helping me with my  recent thoughts about doing napoleonics  :o

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 30 December 2013, 08:03:26 PM
OI !! I'm not that old.......Oh....I forgot.....I am ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil.

Dont worry I'm that old as well
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Hertsblue

Wow! Here's to the big battalions! Love 'em!  =D>
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Rob

Thanks Chaps,

The size of the unit has something to do with the fact it's Austrian.  :) They love the big units. However I am adopting the approach with Napoleonics of squeazing the most out of the ground scale and at the same time having more figures to a base than I normally would.

Cheers,  :)

Rob

Quote from: WeeWars on 30 December 2013, 01:10:13 PM
Hi Rob,

At 1:50, I only have 18 Uhlans in total on my painting list. Most probably to be based in open order – and not in two ranks.

Thanks for the chance to see what the figs look like en masse in close order in two ranks. They're great uniforms.

Cheers, Michael

Thanks Michael. I have in the past always used 1:50 for Napoleonic's which is very convenient for the book keeping side of things, but has the drawbacks (in my opinion) of spoiling the look of units that take hits, and giving too much visual information on the state of the unit to players.

I have changed my mind somewhat recently and have moved towards a small/medium/large method of representing the size of a unit, with the unit itself being organised as its historical model without too much regard to matching it to a (probably inaccurate) returns for the day figure.

Love the blog by the way.

Rob

Quote from: Techno on 30 December 2013, 07:34:02 AM
Good stuff Rob.

Re the photos......Try experimenting with the distance you take your piccies from.
Looks like you're getting a little too close to the figures.....Even if you have a macro facility on your camera, this isn't always the best idea, because the depth of field can be so narrow.
If you take the shot from a little further away you'll end up with more in focus.....and you can always tweak the pic on the PC to 'blow them up' a bit.

Cheers - Phil.

I did try again last night Phil, as we had the Napoleonic figures out for their very first wargame.  <:-P :D The Uhlan regiment did particually well brigaded with a jager battalion in an Advance  Guard type brigade, roughly handling a brigade of French hussars.

The results of the photography were so poor a dare not put them up here.  :-[ I don't think the camera is a bad one as I have taken some great shots with it, but these were outdoor shots.  :-\ I think lighting is a problem indoors as the flash when used only seems to detract from the figures, and if I don't use it the results are currently not good. Another problem is I don't use a tripod so focusing is harder for the camera. The answer (as always) I think is to be little more serious about it and probably invest in a tripod at least if I intend to take pictures of models.

On another tack (to hijack my own thread) I have noticed that three of the items you have altered are now on sale in the French Napoleonic range. I have seen a picture of the elite hussar but have not seen pictures of the elite chasseur a cheval or the elite line infantry in greatcoat. Have these been put up anywhere? If not do you have pictures you can share as I am particually interested in these figures.  :)