Nachod 1866 using Age of Valor

Started by tschuma, 26 August 2013, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tschuma

Initial setup:

I did not use the fields as I had posted before, they just did not look right.  I think I will ultimately paint fields on the terrain but haven't made up my mind.  It looked great as it was. Using 6mm buildings gave the feel of a village/town instead of using 10mm buildings and only have 1 or 2 buildings out there.  In fact one of the group members stated he may sell his buildings and go to this scale!

The game started with the Austrians winning the initiative. Hertwek's brigade advanced up the slope to the Prussian positions.

The Prussians are pushed back on the first turn, but this was not to be repeated for several turns

Jonak's Brigade advanced further to support Hertwk's Brigade, much like history.  The issue that would plague a regiment from Jonak's brigade is they rolled too low to at the very least change formation and it took them 3 turns to change out of Road Column.

Once the Prussian Advance Guard was able to consolidate, we all found out how devastating the Needle Gun fire into a massed target could be.  This forced Hertwek's brigade to retire and reform.

The back and forth with the Prussian Advance Guard and now 3 Austrian brigades final started racking out casualties on both sides, but the weight of the Austrians finally won out.  

1 battalion of the Prussian Advance Guard occupied Wysokow, which forced the Austrian to spend time clearing.

Attacking in Road column is not usually a good thing.  The rolls for both the Austrians were low all day. I don't think I have ever seen so many 1's and 3's on die rolls. Not a good thing in Fire and Fury.
The Austrian Cavalry, Artillery, and remaining Infantry Brigade form up to stop the Prussian Reinforcement.  

This is where we stopped due to time.

It would have been a bloody battle at this point with the Austrian Batteries lined up and infantry coming up from through the woods.  But I feel that the Prussian Needle gun fire would have won the day.  The game played out almost as per the real battle.  The Prussian Advance guard may have held out a little longer, but we were learning the charts as they are different then ACW Fire and Fury.  Overall a good game, just a few questions I need to ask Bill Gray.  Now I need to start on the next set of boards for Skalitz.  I think we will play an alternate scenario where Ramming's Corp arrives to support 8th Corp.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Techno

jchaos79

Leman

Really looks the business, and I agree with you on 10mm figures with 6mm buildings:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Excellent work, looks great. 6mm buildings and 10mm figures is the way to go.  How did you find Age of Valor?  And I cannot tell you how painful I find that missing vowel! :D ;)

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Fenton

I didnt realise those were 6mm buildings...must work
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

tschuma

Quote from: mollinary on 28 August 2013, 07:01:03 PM
Excellent work, looks great. 6mm buildings and 10mm figures is the way to go.  How did you find Age of Valor?  And I cannot tell you how painful I find that missing vowel! :D ;)

Mollinary

The rules worked great, we just had some issues with the Needle Gun factors being so high compared to Artillery fire.  We did not use Reserve movement, but will the next game.  I have posted a few questions on Bill's yahoo group, but no response yet.  We play Fire and Fury ACW both Brigade and Regimental, so the group has the base rules down. Already working on Skalitz and will be picking up the base foam boards this weekend.  it never ends!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Fenton on 28 August 2013, 07:03:52 PM
I didnt realise those were 6mm buildings...must work

The larger buildings look fine but the small houses look distinctly under-scale.

Other than that, a good-looking game with bags of action.  8)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Fenton

From the aerial shots they all look fine
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

tschuma

At first I thought the smaller buildings would be too small too, but they add to the "village" feel of the board. 

Hwiccee

As luck will have it we also re-fought Nachod 1866 but using our rules, based partly on Fire and Fury.

Here is the report - https://www.baccus6mm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1669.0

Leman

A very good looking game, but surprisingly Austrians in White coats even though Baccus do an 1866 Austrian army in greatcoats.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!