Falkland's 'infills'.

Started by Techno, 02 April 2013, 02:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

It's getting to the stage where I can't see the wood for the trees....So to check I haven't done anything too waffy....Time to post some Wips up ! ;)

So... Top row L/R. 3 x 'generic' Artillery crew....(Kneeling loader still to do)..66mm LAW....M79
Bottom row.... L4A2 advancing, L4A2 firing prone, 50mm single man mortar. 3 x Gurkhas.

There are tweaks still to do on some of these....(Like the hand on the middle figure top row....The standing 'Bren' needs the barrel shortening a  tiny tad...and I think the single man mortar wants 'cutting down' slightly too).....But let me know your thoughts.

Not shown is the GPMG on a tripod...But at the moment there are just two kneeling figures, neither of which has had their arms put on yet !

Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

These look damned good to me :).

clibinarium

Those look great.

It's getting to the stage where I can't see the wood for the trees..
I know that feeling too well. There comes a point towards the end of a sculpt when you've be staring at it so long it can be hard to see any flaws, for me often they are only spotted when I take pictures, and then they can seem suddenly obvious. I'm sure its some phenomenon of the way the brain works, but I don't know what its called.
My ideal is to put the sculpts in a box for a week and then take them out for inspection, seeing them with fresh eyes. However that's a rare thing, usually they ship out the day after they are finished!

kev1964

Those are excellent Techno, great poses, carn,t offer any technical opinion as not my thing but look damn fine to me.

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: clibinarium on 02 April 2013, 04:12:56 PM
It's getting to the stage where I can't see the wood for the trees..
I know that feeling too well. There comes a point towards the end of a sculpt when you've be staring at it so long it can be hard to see any flaws, for me often they are only spotted when I take pictures, and then they can seem suddenly obvious. I'm sure its some phenomenon of the way the brain works, but I don't know what its called.
My ideal is to put the sculpts in a box for a week and then take them out for inspection, seeing them with fresh eyes. However that's a rare thing, usually they ship out the day after they are finished!

I'm SO glad it's not just me Clibby !
You're right about the photo's..... ;) Though sometimes I don't notice something's gone **** up until I get a casting back....Then it's AAARGH !
The other thing I find, is that if I'm cycling figures round and around, I'll sometimes think I've totally finished a figure...So it goes to one side, and from that point I simply won't notice a really glaring mistake unless someone else points it out !
THEN it's a case of "How the hell did I not see that."
Think we should invent a new medical condition called "Sculptors' blind eye." ;) ;D

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

One tip from art classes is to look at the sculpts in a mirror. The change of viewing angle really throws up stuff that you hadn't seen before.

Techno

I'd forgotten all about that one Steve !
Someone mentioned that to me YEARS ago...and I've never even tried it !
I'll give it a go !!
Thanks.
Cheers - Phil.

Rob

Hi Phil,

They look really good, love the Bren gunners. The GPMG SF is good news too.

I have some comments on the 66 LAW standing figure which looks wrong to me:

1. Tube should go over the shoulder. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Law_ftbenning_1960_04.jpg

2. Trigger is a button on top so the right hand should be around the tube with the thumb at the side or underneath and fingers on top to apply downward pressure.

3. Not sure if the figure is meant to be moving but a weapon like this will be fired from a stationary position. To be honest unless he is standing behind something and needs to stand he will fire either from the kneeling or prone position.

4. I don't think his personal weapon would be slung over the same shoulder where there is going to be a back blast, it's also likely to slip off slung like that. If slung it would be diagonal either across the back or even across the front. More likely he will have the weapon on the ground if kneeling or prone so he can quickly pick it up after he discards the spent 66.

Hope this is of use.

Cheers, Rob  :)

Techno

Hi Rob.

Looks like my 'prose' re the photo hasn't explained things properly. #-o
There isn't a standing 66mm LAW figure...Just the prone guy.
I'm guessing that the one you're referring to is the one supposed to be firing the M79 ? (Unless I've looked up something wrong ??)
I've taken a bit of artistic license with the SLR  for casting purposes....a diagonal would probably cause problems/miscasts...and there would be a bit of a mould ripper if slung over the other shoulder.

Hope that helps.....and makes sense.  :-bd

Thanks - Phil.

UZero

Very nice, just one pronblem - you forgot to put on the model number! How am supposed to order them for this weekend   :d

Rob

Quote from: Techno on 02 April 2013, 07:42:12 PM
Hi Rob.

Looks like my 'prose' re the photo hasn't explained things properly. #-o
There isn't a standing 66mm LAW figure...Just the prone guy.
I'm guessing that the one you're referring to is the one supposed to be firing the M79 ? (Unless I've looked up something wrong ??)
I've taken a bit of artistic license with the SLR  for casting purposes....a diagonal would probably cause problems/miscasts...and there would be a bit of a mould ripper if slung over the other shoulder.

Hope that helps.....and makes sense.  :-bd

Thanks - Phil.

Ah-ha! I see now. Its me not absorbing what the words say.  :D

It all looks very good now.

Cheers  :)

Techno

Quote from: Rob on 03 April 2013, 12:21:23 AM
Ah-ha! I see now. Its me not absorbing what the words say.  :D

More likely me not 'writing it proper' Rob ! ;)
Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

I notice from the picture that your occupation requires a great deal of wine-drinking, Phil. This may account for the end-of-day "sculptor's blindness".  :D
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Thank you Ray ! :P
Cheers - Phil ;)

Dougie

Super stuff there  :)Dougie
Check out my blog: http://dougieswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!