Pics of some of my 10mm WW2 stuff

Started by Rob, 08 October 2011, 01:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Up to now I have used Pendraken figures mainly for WW2. Here are some pics from games with my lads. The pics are from various games but the photography is a bit ropey. I am not sure whether the camera is rubbish or it was just the lighting because some pics seem OK but there are a lot which come out very fuzzy.
For WW2 I like to mix the infantry from various manufacturers so some of the following pics are not purely Pendraken:

1.   Chindits

This is from a game between a Chindit brigade and a Japanese brigade and garrison. The Chindit’s were attempting to secure a small Burma town. The Japanese had a garrison of a battalion in the town and a brigade coming to their rescue but it was not known when they would arrive.
The Japanese are not Pendraken as they were not available when I bought these. I shall have to provide my Japs with some re-inforcements.

This pic shows the reserve company from the Chindit 1st battalion with the mortar platoon and battalion command. In the back ground the 2nd and 3rd battalions are advancing.

Not such a good photo but the 3rd battalion has bumped a bunker. Two companies did an assault and were repulsed. Mortar fire plasters the bunker in the mean-time.

2nd battalion take over the task and assault the bunker with a single company with mortar and Vickers MMG support.

After its capture they moved assaulted into the town and secured a foot hold but were promptly ejected by a counter-attack by the garrison.

Meantime the Japanese relieving brigade had arrived on table and was marching rapidly. Two battalions can be seen streaming towards the beleaguered garrison and one peeling off to flank the Chindits.

The flanking battalion forms up for an attack but didn’t get much further suffering communication problems. While the other 2 moved through the town and straight into the attack.

An assault coming in on the Chindit 3rd battalion. The 3rd battalion was acting as flank guard and luckily the company that bore the brunt of the attack had managed to dig in.

The 3rd battalion was supported by the 2nd  battalion using its mortars and Vickers platoon providing grazing fire in front of their positions.

The Japanese were exhausted after their assaults had failed.

On the other flank the Chindit 1st battalion dug in waiting the Jap attack and repulsed it when it came.

A thumping good game, which was a Chindit tactical victory, having killed lots of Japanese, but a Japanese strategic victory, as they had held the town.

2.   Russians

These pics are from various games. They are of a Russian rifle regiment with lots of support. The infantry are mix of Pendraken and others. The vehicles are not Pendraken.

3. German 1942-3 recce battalion from an armoured division

These pics are again from various games. They are of a 1942-3 German recce battalion equipped with kubelwagons and motorcycles. The infantry, Kubelwagons and motorcycles are Pendraken.

Cheers, Rob

Leon

Great stuff, thanks for posting these!  8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Arsenus

The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

Hertsblue

Great stuff, Rob. I'm particularly interested in the Chindits - I'm working up a Burma collection myself. Love the sandbagging. Was it scratchbuilt?

Oh, and what rules do you use?  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

nikharwood

Rob

Quote from: Hertsblue on 09 October 2011, 10:13:20 AM
Great stuff, Rob. I'm particularly interested in the Chindits - I'm working up a Burma collection myself. Love the sandbagging. Was it scratchbuilt?

Yes, the idea popped into my head when I made the roofs for the bunkers. I used milliput and had mixed too much so was wondering what I could do that would be useful with the remainder.

What I did was to roll the milliput into a ball, like you can with clay. I then rolled it into a flat sausage, then cut it into suitable lengths and pinched the ends with my fingers at the same time flattening the bottom of it on the table. Using a craft knife I then scored the top to represent a row of sandbags. Allow to dry and then with a thin file, file along the scoring to give more definition. Paint and wash.

It takes longer to describe than do. :)

Quote from: Hertsblue on 09 October 2011, 10:13:20 AM
Oh, and what rules do you use?  :)

I use my own. :) I like to play with brigades and divisions and although I have no problem playing with the commonly available commercially rules if I am playing someone that wants to use them, I do find I have issues with them.

Cheers, Rob

NTM

Don't know how I've missed this thread up til now but have to say very good stuff.
Nice to see pics of the Slouch hat Brits, there have been a few requests for details on these but not much forthcoming. Looks like they are simple head swaps on the LW figs which is no bad thing.

Rob

Thanks very much fellahs.

The three man bases represent 25-45 men platoons, and support weapons represent either a section/squad or platoon depending on that forces tactics. The 6/7 man bases represent 75-150 men so a half or full company and these are for armies that still use the thick skirmish lines of the 19thC like early WW1 or Soviet style mass assault tactics. The vehicle bases mainly represent platoons and the aircraft a flight each.

Cheers, Rob  :)

Rob

Quote from: NTM on 02 November 2011, 09:17:17 AM
Nice to see pics of the Slouch hat Brits, there have been a few requests for details on these but not much forthcoming. Looks like they are simple head swaps on the LW figs which is no bad thing.
Sorry, I didn't read this post properly before I replied. There are no convertions to the Chindits, they are all vanilla Pendraken. The rifle platoons are BR55, 56 and 57. The command bases are BR6 and the support platoons are BR4 and 9.

The officers fit in fine but the mortars and MMG have helmets, so strictly speaking are innacurate but they actually don't look out of place on the table.

Cheers, Rob  :)

Hertsblue

Actually, Rob, all British and Indian troops were issued with steel helmets in Burma. Many chose not to wear them, but many also did, particularly in combat situations. So a mixture of hats and helmets would seem perfectly authentic.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Grundig

I love the 2 Messerschmitts flying in low over the advancing Russians; where did you get them from, what manufacturer?

Rob

15 January 2012, 11:11:55 PM #12 Last Edit: 15 January 2012, 11:20:21 PM by Rob
From memory the ME109’s are F-Toys. They are Japanese ready painted snap together models. I have never managed to paint a plane or helicopter and been totally satisfied, so I have given up and buy them already done. They are not too expensive if you are only buying 1 or 2. (I also get my youngest lad Andrew to build them for me, he likes building kits)

I got them from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/1-144-Direct (he also sells Pendraken kit) but if you do a search on Google or eBay for “1/144” you will come up with many suppliers.

They come complete with plastic stands and the only finishing I do is to glue the stand to some plastic card, anchor it in Tetrion and apply flock. It makes the planes more stable on the table.

Here are some Sturmoviks going in the other direction.  :D

Cheers, Rob  :)

Grundig