Started by Leon, 24 March 2011, 04:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel

I agree with Nik's comments about the posing, but excellent sculpting :-bd

I could be tempted by these ..........

Cheers,

Kev

Bertie

Well what can I say, Dave and Leon said they would look at the Republic and they are true to their word.                            These figures have huge potential.
Can I ask , will you be looking at the Mid Rebublic? as I can't wait to confront my local Hannibal with a new range of Romans.

Excellent work :)

Techno

Thanks Bertie.

I'll be checking with Leon very soon, as to what his requirements are...so I'm sure he'll let you know.

A question for you first though.
By Mid Republic, do you mean one of the variations of armour that would have had upright feathers on top of the helms, rather than the flowing 'crest'?
I can make those.....But I'd worry about how fragile they'd be once they were cast in metal at this scale

VBWs - Phil.

Bertie

Hi Techno,

The Mid Rebublic would be the period of the Hastatus, Principes, Triarii and Velite. From what I understand the Hastatus had a pectoral (a plate of armour on the chest) Princpes and Triarii a mail shirt. But no doubt there would have been variations in the army.

What I have read seems to indicate that a three feather plume was used. All I can say is that Magister Militum and Minifigs (USA) have produced figures depicting the plume :-\ But I am certainly no artist to make a valid judgement. Anyway if push came to shove I would settle for the crest you have done to date, as long as they were distinctive in the other areas. Besides I have seen pictures with all manner and variations of the crest. Does anyone really know 100%?

Whilst you are about it how about a range of non Latin equiped Italian allies that can be used by several armies.

Anyway can't wait no really I can't wait to see what you can do. As the Republic is an army that I have bought and painted in several scales including 10mm, but they have never been my "THIS IS THE ONE" and I have been looking off and on for 30 years. Must have OCD I guess

Techno

Thanks Bertie.

I know the ones you mean !
(Well...when i say know....I do have reference 'piccies' for the chest plate....)

Allies ?.....We'll have to ask that nice Mr Leon.

VBWs - Phil.

Bertie

Hello Techno,

Just spent the last 20 mins trying to attach an image no joy. Not the sites fault its me. Anyway if you do a search on google/MSN images there are loads of pictures.

Sorry >:(
Bertie

Techno

Hi Bertie.

I believe Leon is going to send me a reference book...(or some pics...)...very soon now....So no worries.
Many thanks for trying anyway !  :-bd

VBWs - Phil

Bertie

Hello Techno,

What has Leon given you the go ahead to do?

Leon

Quote from: Bertie on 10 April 2011, 08:25:49 PM
Hello Techno,

What has Leon given you the go ahead to do?

Nothing yet!  I've been too busy getting the stock done for Salute to get anything sorted.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Luddite

The sculpting is excellent but the poseing is off - as stated, they are too static.  I think a simple 'forward lean' into the shield would solve that and make them look a little more dynamic.  I really like the close in shield and the compact use of the galdius, which is as i understand it the current thinking on how these chaps fought (some scholars suggesting that only the gladius blade protruted beyond the tightly held shield).

The Republican Roman army after the Marian reforms adopted the triplex acies 'manipular formation', with the Principes and Hastati behind a shield of skirmishing velites and backed up by the veteran triarii (armed originally in 'Greek fashion' of long spear phalanx, but later increasingly with short spear or even gladius), so i'm not sure which grade of troop you're sculpting here?  Hastati?

The issue of the headdress is also moot.  Again, we don't really know what they wore, but it was likely either tall feathers or a 'horse tail'.  I've alsways felt these 'brushes' look more Greek that Roman.

Here's a good image source (Left = Hastati/Principes; Centre = Triarii; Right = velites).

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Thanks for the info Luddite, I might have a wander around Salute for that Osprey.  We've got the Punic Wars one already.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Well, I'll be........
As Leon now knows....That's the particular ref book, I've got already !
Those it is then.....I'll send WIP pictures to Leon as I progress.
Cheers - Phil.
(Hope everyone going to Salute has a really GREAT time !)

Bertie

Brilliant just the look I have always considered to be Punic war Romans. One thing though, only a few Velites would have worn the animal headress, those who wanted to stand out on the battlefeild, the rest would have tried to blend into the back ground with a simple helmet. Some good illustrations of Roman cavalry in the book as well ;)

Leon

Quote from: Bertie on 15 April 2011, 08:35:42 PM
One thing though, only a few Velites would have worn the animal headress, those who wanted to stand out on the battlefeild, the rest would have tried to blend into the back ground with a simple helmet.

Yeah, I don't think we'll be going for the dead cat headwear!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Leon on 26 April 2011, 11:28:12 PM
Yeah, I don't think we'll be going for the dead cat headwear!

Ah - why not....plenty of vounteer mogies around 'ere, or wuz dat foxes....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021