Elizabethan Irish expansion released!

Started by Leon, 03 November 2019, 11:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

We've added a few extra troop types to our Elizabethan range!  Commissioned by Forum member d_guy and sculpted by Phil, these provide some handy extra options for the later 16th century period in Ireland.  From d_guy's blog: https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2019/02/28/irish-10mm-figure-commission/

"The figure styles are somewhat of a compromise and while they are typical for Ireland from 1570 – 1600, they are usable at least back to 1500.  This means that to the most knowledgeable a few anachronisms creep-in for a few of the figures and for these I take full responsibility.  The jackets (ionar) changed in style significantly over the 16th c and I wanted figures that could be fudged a bit with painting.  I also wanted to be able to use these figures to represent Highlanders in the same period. The Gallowglass easily fit the bill and we have added folded 'plaids' (cloaks, mantles) which can be painted in a tartan pattern if one wishes. Likewise, many of the new figures can represent 'Redshanks'."

Renaissance
Elizabethans - https://pendraken.co.uk/renaissance/elizabethan-1560-1610/
EL11   Gallowglass with axe (15)   £2.65
EL12   Gallowglass with sword
EL13   Kerns with spear and shield
EL14   Bonnacht with axe/sword
EL15   Irish pikemen
EL16   Irish calivermen
(Packs contain 30 figures at £5.25 except EL11)

And some pics:

EL11 - Gallowglass with axe

EL12 - Gallowglass with sword

EL14 - Bonnacht with axe/sword

EL16 - Irish calivermen

Greeks and Persians are next, not long to wait now!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Westmarcher

Very nice!  :-bd   I once had the idea of wargaming this period, not only regarding the wars of the era itself but also, in the spirit of the era and costumes of a contemporary Shakespearean play, the wars of Shakespeare's plays themselves.

It might still happen .....   ;)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

I wish I'd anticipated those axemen; my Norsemen could have incorporated a few to good effect.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Obviously I like them. Thanks to Phil for the wonderful sculpting and Leon for bringing them into production. I got the figures in quantity late last week from Leon and will soon start on the armies for the Battle of Harlaw (1411). Most of these figures (along with Pendraken's other Highlander/ Irish in the ELM and ER ranges) can reasonably represent back to the time of Macbeth (Westie) and The Viking Invasions (Kitty). Shoot, maybe even the Kingdom of Dalriada.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Steve J

Those are great and thanks for getting them done as they will be very useful for some Lion Rampant projects I have in mind 8)

Techno

Quote from: d_Guy on 04 November 2019, 03:26:50 AM
Obviously I like them. Thanks to Phil for the wonderful sculpting and Leon for bringing them into production.

You're very welcome, Bill !  :)

I'm really glad you like them.

Can't wait to see some painted. :!! ;)

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

You expect me to believe they're 10mm.
The detail says 28...

Raider4

Quote from: Leon on 03 November 2019, 11:43:09 PM
EL14 - Bonnacht with axe/sword

My what a big chopper you've got!

Lovely figures, but that ax looks very, very big, more the sort of thing you'd see in a fantasy range.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

NIce to see Phil getting something right  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

It's all a matter of cultural relativism. In Japan he would be much revered for taking agonising years over sepukku.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: Raider4 on 04 November 2019, 11:27:31 AM
Lovely figures, but that ax looks very, very big, more the sort of thing you'd see in a fantasy range.

It's a bit of a sod, Martin (?).

We could make a lot of weapons smaller/more 'realistic'...But then Leon would get miscasts, all over the place......It's a constant battle to make them 'look right'.

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

Quote from: Techno on 04 November 2019, 12:47:54 PM
It's a bit of a sod, Martin (?).

Close, it's Martyn.

Quote from: Techno on 04 November 2019, 12:47:54 PM
We could make a lot of weapons smaller/more 'realistic'...But then Leon would get miscasts, all over the place......It's a constant battle to make them 'look right'.

Yes, I get that. It's just the length of the shaft, not the size of the head that's troubling me. Wouldn't a shorter shaft make it easier to cast?

Cheers, M.
--

Ithoriel

04 November 2019, 02:48:52 PM #14 Last Edit: 04 November 2019, 02:59:43 PM by Ithoriel
Quote from: Raider4 on 04 November 2019, 11:27:31 AM
My what a big chopper you've got!

These things seem to have been pretty long.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data