ECW project - For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 28 June 2018, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Here are the three Irish pike and musket units of Colonel's MacDonnell, O'Cahan and Laghtnan respectively. The pike figures are by Pendraken (so I am posting the pictures in this thread), but all the shot and command figures are from Lancer Miniatures ECW range as I wanted to use musketeer figures without musket rests.

The Irish Brigade has been depicted as they might have appeared when they landed at Ardnamurchan in July 1644. Some manufacturers of larger scale figures have depicted them as being clad in blue bonnets and mainly highland attire, which may have been the case later in the 1644-45 campaign. However when they arrived from Ireland my sources (mainly Stuart Reid's various works) suggest that they would have had a more Anglo-Irish rather than Scottish apperence. 

I choose to clearly differentiate the Irish from their Covenanter opponents who will of course be clad mainly in the almost universal blue bonnets and "hodden grey" uniforms. 

Thanks as usual to Paul for his amazing painting and Bill, alias D Guy for his Irish Brigade flags made available via his Celtic Fringe blog: https://inredcoatragsattired.com/

I tried to depict the veteran Irish in attack mode with "march attack" posed pikes and muskets levelled ready for a fierce salvee charge (which they can do in FK&P rules). Alistair McColla, the brigade commander, and his personal bodyguard were from the Western Isles so will be depicted in due course as highlanders, which are a bit further down the painting queue.

I took the pictures with my cellphone camera early today on a very grey and overcast day if you are wondering about the lighting effects, sorry they are not better.

Next up are two Irish commanded shot battalia and two folorn hopes, then its on to some Covenant pike and musket units.

I hope that proves that neither Paul or myself have been "slacking" Techno  :)  ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Those are brilliant chaps, keep up the top work.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

d_Guy

:-bd :-bd =D>
I love them, Peter, very nicely done. Also like that you went with the harp flags. I first thought to use the Irish Confederation circlet, but wanted something more iconic. Some sources say the Irish used double-sided flags (the two faces not the same), but let's face it, there are no regulations and I like this look way better.

Now they need to get into action!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Those have based up nicely, great flags again :-bd =D> :-bd

I like the way the veterans are maintaining their drill and dressing :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

The rest of the scabbards & belts done :)
Wood done :)
Metal base coated :)
Skin base tone done :)

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

paulr

Finished painting the second batch of Irish and the Forlorn Hopes :)

Wash, final dry brush and figures bases to do :!!

paulr

Wash done this morning, will be dry enough for the final steps this evening :)

Sorted next batch, 3 Royalist regular pike & shot battalia :)

paulr

Final dry brush and figures bases done  :) :)
First of three Royalist regular pike & shot battalia onto a couple of spare painting rods :)
Remaining two battalia waiting for waiting for the Irish to move off painting rods once fully dry :-w

Hopefully the weather will clear as forecast tomorrow allowing me to undercoat the Royalist regular pike & shot battalias :-SS

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Serious production line going again then Paul.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

The day is clear but currently cold 4C (39F), still forecast to warm to undercoating temperatures by midday :)

pierre the shy

Bases & flags done for the Irish Shot and next 3 Royalist standing regiments - Strathbogie Regt, Farquharson of Monaltrie's and William Gordon of Minimore's (which will be able to be used as Covenant Regiments as I need an extra brigade to have enough Covenant foot to eventually deploy 17 stands for Dunbar).

First fine day for a while after a few days of classic Wellington southerlies so taking the kids out to one of the regional parks for a tramp around since they've been couped up inside.

I will pick the completed Irish up from Paul if he's at home as we have to go past his place to get there...what a coincidence  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Last of the Irish collected by Pierre the Shy :)

Three Royalist regular pike & shot battalia undercoated :)

Got to 11C (52F)