What was the last ruleset you played 2018?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 January 2018, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

A little out of my wheelhouse as well, but it looks very good, Mr. Lemmy. Do you have boarding actions in a game like this, sky commandos leaping out of a Handley Page, that sort of thing?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Wing scale Volley & Bayonet
2) What armies  were confronted? - British vs American
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Not by a long long way
5) How many players were in the game? - Four
6) What went well? Everything, unless you were British ;)
7) What could have been improved? The British player's adjustment to the different troop types

The plan was to play a one evening game to christen the new AWI forces.

The scenario was loosely based on Benedict Arnold's raid on Richmond. Historically he only faced a couple of hundred militia and burnt the town. We replaced the militia with Lafayette's force of elite light infantry that Washington sent to Virginia to stop Arnold's raids.

We actually ended up playing two games in the one evening

In the first game the British players hadn't fully adjusted to the differences in troop quality between the forces in the Carolinas and Virginia. They advanced the 80th Foot rapidly towards the American left and centre. The Queen's Rangers advanced towards the American right. The remaining Loyalist and Hessian infantry moved up behind the 80th. The British artillery open fired on Richmond at long range while the Queen's Rangers Horse waited in reserve.

The American response was swift and decisive, Barber's and Gimat's battalions charged the 80th Foot destroying a quarter of the battalion, routing half and throwing the remaining quarter back in disorder. This left a disordered company of Hessians, the Loyal American Regiment and Benedict Arnold's American Legion facing the victorious American battalions.

The British conceded the game at this point.

We reset and the British players decided they wanted to try again rather than swap sides.

Game two saw a more cautious advance by the British. This time the Hessians moved towards the wood on the flank of the 80th Foot and the Queen's Rangers Horse moved to 'threaten' the American left flank. The Artillery advanced with the infantry and divided its attention between the American infantry and Richmond. The Loyal American Regiment and Benedict Arnold's American Legion advanced in skirmish order to support the Queen's Rangers on the American right.

The British artillery fire had set part of Richmond ablaze. This forced the American infantry to be aggressive. Barber's battalion on the American left suffered from the fire of the Hessians and the 80th, losing a third of their number. The 80th in turn lost a quarter of their number.

In the American centre Vose's battalion and the artillery pushed forward to counter the British artillery. On the American right Gimat's battalion attacked the Queen's Rangers and destroyed half of them.

Gimat's battalion was flanked by the Loyal American Regiment and Benedict Arnold's American Legion and casualties rapidly mounted.

The American left was again decisive with Barber and Vose's battalions charging and devastating 80th Foot and destroying the Hessians. This combined with more casualties inflicted by Gimat's battalion caused the morale of both British brigades to collapse.

It was a much closer win for the Americans with their morale only one causality off either exhaustion or collapse and a third of Richmond in flames.

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

A cracking game and lovely to look at too boot 8).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 29 March 2018, 06:05:29 AM

The scenario was loosely based on Benedict Arnold's raid on Richmond. Historically he only faced a couple of hundred militia and burnt the town. We replaced the militia with Lafayette's force of elite light infantry that Washington sent to Virginia to stop Arnold's raids.

Another couple of very enjoyable AWI games (OK I was American for both games).

The second game would have seen Benedict Arnold captured by men of Gimat's battalion as the British brigade facing them had collapsed for morale purposes having taken too many hits. In the picture above Benedict Arnold's command stand is the one with 3 mounted redcoated officers about 3" in front of Gimat's unengaged stand. It is now the American turn and fast infantry can move 16"......The umpire outlined to the American players that historically if Arnold was taken justice was to be served swiftly and Lafayette was not expected to return to Washington with him first......     

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Shedman

Womble67

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Blitzkrieg Commander
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian vs German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Reasonably
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

26 Mar 2018, Russian vs Germans, Operations Room

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Blitzkrieg Commander
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian vs German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Reasonably
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 4

21 Mar 2018, Russian vs Germans, Operations Room

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

d_Guy

Quote from: pierre the shy on 29 March 2018, 09:02:23 AM
(OK I was American for both games).
...and glads to have you we are!

Another great looking game and Paul's figures look great as always.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

Love those BKC games Andy!

Must try and organise a game myself.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Womble67

Quote from: Ithoriel on 29 March 2018, 03:54:59 PM
Love those BKC games Andy!

Must try and organise a game myself.

I'm glad you like them, I'm definitely organise yourself a game

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Leman

Paul R - AWI not a period I am particularly enamoured with, but what a superb looking game  =D> =D> =D>
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Love the professional look of the labels, and the look of the game overall. Great work!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Mid Republican Roman vs Pyrrhus
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -no
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? Legions took out Pyrrhus's lancers, Triarii took out his elephants and a pike block, another legion took on and beat hopilites, ran over two units of skirmishers too.
7) What could have been improved? Legions performance vs Pike blocks, auxiliaries vs Epirotes didn't go well, and another auxilia got shot to pieces. Triarii broke after killing two units, which ended the game for Rome.

15-10 to Pyrrhus, so, couldn't be a closer Pyrrhic victory if we tried!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner