AWI in Virginia

Started by paulr, 11 November 2017, 07:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

11 November 2017, 07:29:54 PM Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 07:40:58 PM by paulr
As those who have been reading my musings, here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16732.0.html, will know I have decided to expand my existing AWI force

The existing force is based around the war in the south in 1781, particularly Guilford Courthouse http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,14025.msg245318.html#msg245318

The aim with the new force is to add some French but not get bogged down in the sieges of Savannah or Yorktown

After much musing and research I've decided on a 'what if' expansion of the campaign in Virginia in March to May 1781

In reality a small British force under Benedict Arnold, yes the 'turncoat', was sent into Virginia to disrupt one of the wealthiest of the 13 colonies

Lafayette was sent south by Washington to contain him with a small force of American Light Infantry

Arnold was then reinforced, in two phases, and came under the command of Major General William Phillips, this force then pursued Lafayette around Virginia before withdrawing to Yorktown where they came under the command of Cornwallis with the majority of his southern army

The 'what if' adds two French forces to Lafayette's command

• Volontaires Étrangers de Lauzun, the Duc de Lauzun had volunteered to join Lafayette's command but was ordered to remain in Newport by Washington
  • Bourbonnais Brigade, Admiral Destouches was supposed to transport these troops to Virginia but was prevented from doing so by the 'First Battle of the Virginia Capes' on 16th March
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

The order has been placed :) :-w

While waiting I've been continuing my uniform research. The American Light Infantry are three combined battalions with companies drawn from 26 different regiments :o @-)
Over the 18 months or so before they headed into Virginia most of those regiments had two different uniforms, some had three  @-) ~X(
Frustrating to work out who was still wearing what, but it will lead to some very varied units

I've also been working on the labels for the forces and started cutting out the 150 or so bases needed

paulr

Labels sorted, bases cut out :)

Uniform research progressed, slightly  ~X( :!!

Diverted somewhat by developing a scenario for next weeks game, a large AWI game has been requested

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 12 November 2017, 06:48:29 PM
Diverted somewhat by developing a scenario for next weeks game, a large AWI game has been requested

Should help keep your AWI focus till the order arrives  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Bases sanded for Lafayette's Light Infantry Brigade and Arnold's initial force :)

Scenario for Saturday sorted :)
Just need to finalise the victory conditions :-\

paulr

Bases washed, hopefully I'll get some paint on them this evening :!!

Some simple victory conditions finalised, we'll see how they work out on Saturday  :-\

paulr

Both sides of bases painted, edges next

petercooman

I look forward to seeing those bases (with figures on them of course)

Keep the mojo high!  ;)

paulr

Edges done on the bases, magnetic vinyl next, then labels

Scenario worked pretty well on Saturday :)
Shame the same can't be said for the British plan :( X_X

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 19 November 2017, 06:24:08 PM
Scenario worked pretty well on Saturday :)
Shame the same can't be said for the British plan :( X_X

Another fantastic AWI game from Paul  8)

I think the Maryland Continental Brigade will have earnt a battle honor after their battlefield performance on Saturday (FWIW I was using the Virginia Continentals on the other flank against Tarleton's wing).

Looking forward to seeing the French and other reinforcements progressing. Roy and I did encourage Paul to do more AWI stuff - I made a reasonable contribution towards the cost of the figures since Paul has very kindly painted many WW1 figures for me over the past couple of years.

Vive la revolution!! :)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

And much appreciated the contribution is :)
For me it is a win, win, win, win
I enjoyed painting the WWI figures, I get to enjoy playing with them, they help fund additional figures that I will enjoy painting, and I get to enjoy playing with the additional figures

d_Guy

Quote from: pierre the shy on 20 November 2017, 07:47:37 AM

I think the Maryland Continental Brigade will have earnt a battle honor after their battlefield performance on Saturday

I am a fan of the First Maryland of the Continental Line who, as you probably know, seemed to show up everywhere and usually were prominent in the action. They would today get several unit citations, particularly for Long Island and Guilford C.H.

I hate reading you stuff gentlemen, I could get back into this so easily, must resist!  :D  :-bd :-bd

Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

Progress on AWI research and base preparation delayed by a present from my daughter

She got me one of these on a recent trip to Japan, a Japanese Type 10 tank

PS Not my video

paulr

Magnetic vinyl glued to bases :)
Labels proofread, interesting how many mistakes you can make on such a simple task #-o
Research resumed on the 26 different regiments that contributed to the American Light Infantry battalions :-B

Impatiently, I checked with Leon how my order was progressing :!!

He, patiently, advised that they have been cast and will be dispatched this week :) :)

paulr

A nice little research success this evening :)

One of the British battalions in this project is the 80th Foot (Royal Edinburgh Volunteers), Lt. Col. Thomas Dundas was the commander of this battalion at the time.

However he was also the commander of the Regular Infantry brigade of Arnold's / Phillip's force, so who commanded the 80th Foot while in action while he commanded the Brigade :-\

Buried in the "Gentleman's Magazine, Or Monthly Intelligencer, Volume 44", July - December 1837 is the obituary of one, General Sir William Maxwell, Bart. In 1778 following his exchange "after the unfortunate convention of Saratoga" became a Major, by purchase, in the 80th. It seems very likely that such an experienced Major would step up when the Lieutenant Colonel was commanding the brigade.

I must admit I really enjoy the research side of this hobby :-B :-B :-B