2017 Paint Off Discussion Thread

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 November 2017, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hi all,
This is the thread for feedback, wow words, praise and general astonishment about the entries in this year's painting competition.
Have fun
Will
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Do planes, gliders etc go in the 'Other Vehicles' category?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Well done Will.

Seeing all the categories listed, reminds me just how many there are!!

Better get on with finding painting and photographing
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Terry37

I still consider myself a newbie to this forum, but since joining it has become my first, and number one, forum I hit when I turn on the PC. Mostly because I enjoy the consistently positive attitude of everyone, and the sense of humor and repartee that I see. I really do not enjoy forums where posters rip into fellow posters because they don't agree or like what they said. OK, off subject, so let me get to it....

This is my first ever painting competition on line and I am thoroughly enjoying the excitement that seems to surround it. I cannot wait to start seeing the various posts of competed projects, and have seen some truly awesome work by you all (yes, I live in the south). Win or lose, I am having fun and hope everyone else is too!

I commend Pendraken for hosting this and Mad Lemmey, or is it Will, (still learning who is who here) for taking on the task. Gentlemen, I tip my hat to you!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

Yep......Will is Mad Lemmey's real name, Terry. :)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

02 November 2017, 07:26:41 AM #6 Last Edit: 02 November 2017, 07:35:23 AM by fsn
Sorry ... "Will is Mad Lemmey's real name Terry."

So, Yoda, Terry is Mad Lemmey's real name?  

BTW Come on Chaps. The competition has been open for over 24 hours and no entries? Mine is in prep. I've just done the third soak in my own patented cleaning formula. Then it will be the undercoat - which is always a most vexing stage. If that doesn't go right I will have to spend hours in meditation trying to centre myself and communicating with the spirit of the model. 6 times out of 7, the undercoating has to be redone, and sometimes I lose the, like, essence of what I'm trying to create, and so it's totally back to stage 1 when I have to find a model that speaks to me and allows me to say something like totally new in 10mm? Then I have to cleanse ,myself, purification, which means eating only foods that have an energy link to the process, mostly mung beans, tofu and cheesecake? And wearing white is a given. So after the undercoating there's the base coating and that takes like no time at all, but then I have to contemplate the effect from all angles under 8 types of light before I can be satisfied that I have achieved something truly remarkable. If I'm not satisfied, it's back to stage 1.

By this time, I've usually run out of time and make the complete bodge of the paint job that I have always presented.  :-[
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

fsn

Why let a little thing like a punctuation mark get in the way of a pull of Techno's tail?

I don't know why, but I'm genuinely more excited about this comp than previous years.

I think Mr 37 is spot on with his comment.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Don't know if i'll have something to contribute this time, haven't got the mojo for the moment!

Ithoriel

Alas, my father has chosen this time to have a fall and then a trip in the big white taxi and needs some help now he's home. So I won't be entering my, undoubtedly less than spectacular, version of Pendraken's lovely Maus as I had intended. :(

Looking forward to seeing entries and casting votes which will likely be my only participation.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Hope he's on the mend, as soon as, Mike.

As well as keeping an eye on the MIL, I've got Von suffering from some bug, today.

No rest for the wicked.  =)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ithoriel

Look after yourself as well as them Phil!

Hope Von recovers quickly and that your MIL is as good as she can be.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

ErHo

I've been busy, but I will have some soon!!!
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer