2017 GBnUIT Nashville Leg Report

Started by Terry37, 26 October 2017, 06:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

This past Saturday six players and yours truly gathered for the Nashville Leg of the 2017 Good, Bad and Ugly International Tournament A special treat for the group was having Pete Duckworth of Coventry, England join in. Not only did Pete have the farthest commute, but is also the first player to participate in two different legs of the tournament in a single year.

The Nashville area DBA/HOTT Group before the blood letting. They're smiling now, but.......

Paul and Pete before the starting gun. Paul played his Mini-Sota Wikings army and Pete played my Green Men of Barsoom army.

David and Dave taking time out for a photo-op. David played his Body Snatchers army while Dave played a delightful looking army based on the movie Frozen – aptly titled "Frozen in Space". Dave's daughter has a big part of what armies Dave creates, and if you saw her, you'd understand why – she'd melt sugar. A very sweet youg lady of 8 I think.

Joe and Bob take a pose for the camera. Bob played his Buck Rogers and his Space Vikings army, while Joe played a borrowed Robin Hood army.

Bob's army poised for action. Gotta love the nostalgic space ship! Nicely done Bob.

I believe it is safe to say that there was plenty of concentration by all players vying for this years "out of this world" prizes!

Bob was heard saying now if I roll a 6 and Joe rolls a 1.......

Hmmmm, that looks like a real "Sneaky Pete" move, and I'm playing Dave!

Me thinks those Green Knights look more than a little intimidating!

A good view of the action between the Green Men of Barsoom and the Mini-Sota Wikings.

David hoping he can reach just far enough????

General in a stare down against an Aerial Hero!

Seems Robin Hood was no match for Buck Rogers!

The action back on Barsoom.

The action between the Body Snatchers and Frozen in Space.

Round 2 is under way.

More round 2 action.

And more round 2 action.

The Green Men on parade!

Opps, looks like Tars Tarkas might be in a bit of trouble there??????

What to do? What to do?

Buck Rogers squaring off against the Mini-Sota Wikings in round 3.

Frozen in Space facing Robin Hood and his Merry men.

And with the final die rolled, the numbers calculated here are the results.

David Crenshaw   39 points
Joe Collins      38 points
Dave Cliffel      31 points
Bob Gunter      25 points
Paul Potter      22 points
Pete Duckworth   16 points

The winners and the Tail End Charlie.

And yes, you will see that Pete should have won the Tail End Charlie Award, but due to the oversight of yours truly, it was by mistake awarded to Paul. Paul and several others offered to give Pete the $10 gift certificate at either Splintered Light Miniatures or Rebel Miniatures, but Pete thanking them said it was not a problem as the award would not even cover postage for him. My sincere apology to Pete for this oversight, and thanks to those who offered to correct my error.

I want to also say that I think Pete was at a handicap in this tournament for several reasons - the first being, and without a doubt the biggest reason for his showing, was that he used my die, which has a penchant for rolling ones at critical times! And as theme oriented as the Green Men army was, it was not a good one to be the attacker with, what with 6 x Knights and a Hero General  - a little bad going in the wrong place and there was no room for the Knights to truly exploit their abilities. However, Pete was a good sport and took it in stride. Of course I'm not sure what hexes he's put on my die for my future games because of it??????

Have to give thanks to quite a few people who really made our Leg possible.

Scott Reeves of HMGS MidSouth who has been a long and loyal supporter of the tournament.

David McBride of Splintered Light Miniatures and Mike Renegar of Rebel Miniatures who have also been consistent supporters.

John Hovey of the Tornado Alley Leg who provided this years great give-away.

Mike McEwan for handling the ordering and distribution of the give-aways.

Josh Krebs who allowed us to use his office space for the venue.

And of course those who came to play and have fun – Pete, David, Paul, Bob, Dave and Joe.

Soon it will be time to start working on the 2018 GBnUIT Tournament and I will be announcing the theme for it very soon.

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Steve J

Thanks for the report Terry and some nice looking armies there. I must admit I like the Robin Hood one the most.

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

Looks like everyone had fun. I haven't played in a HOTT tournament for years but I always found it to be the one area of competitive wargaming where all the players were in it for fun.

Orcs

Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves.

I like the way HOTT brings out all the unusual armies as competitors are in it for the fun.

The only problem is when you have an opponent who is a child - you in a lose, lose situation

If you win - You have beaten a child and possibly discouraged them , so you are ribbed rotten  for it

If you lose - you have lost to a child - so your ribbed rotten for it.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson