PrintableScenery.com kickstarter - Time Warp. 3D printable scenery

Started by cbr3d.com, 06 March 2017, 04:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbr3d.com

I'm backing this and thought it might be of interest to others.

PrintableScenery.com, a New Zealand company who produce 3d printable designs, is just over half way through its latest kickstarter 'Time Warp' which contains 3 main themes, 'Time Warp Americas' (circa. 19th century Wild West buildings), 'Rampage Castle Builder' (a medieval style castle built in sections and locked together by the 'Open Lock' system as well as medieval type buildings), and finally 'Time Warp Europe' (a medieval chuch - both intact and ruined varients, as well as other buildings and scenery, some being quite novel).

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...as/description

At the time of writing the kickstarter stands at over NZ $54,000 with over 13 days remaining. The pledge levels start at NZ$60 to back any single one of the individual themes, then NZ$90 for any two of the three themes, and finally NZ$130 to back all of the themes. (There were 200 Early Bird pledges but of course these were snapped up pretty quick, but in the unlikely event one should be available they are priced at NZ$115.)

So far unlocked stretch goals are:

- French Medieval House
- Derelict Spanish Church
- Lifting Castle Gates and Arch
- Stone Footbridge (2 versions)
- Run Down (Wild West) Store
- Complete set of walkways for battlements
- European Modular Town Ruins
- Carribean Shack
- Castle Wall sections with windows

Next stretch goals to be unlocked consist of:

NZ $55,000 - Ruined Chateau
NZ $60,000 - Log Cabin
NZ $65,000 - Castle Ruins for battlements, walls, and floors
NZ $70,000 - Farm
NZ $75,000 - Miners Shack
NZ $80,000 - Advanced Wooden Stairways
NZ $85,000 - Stone Barn
NZ $90,000 - Rundown (Wild West) Store / Jail
NZ $95,000 - Operational Drawbridge

Bonus FREE items so far announced:

I have backed all of PrintableScenery.com's previous crowd funding campaigns (2 on Kickstarter and 2 on Indiegogo) and can say without hesitation they were all superbly run both during the campaigns and with delivery of files on time (in fact Matt Barker who owns 'PrintableScenery' has now got a reputation of always going above and beyond, giving out updated designs following the completion of a campaign).

I know not everyone is in love with 3d home printing but it is something that is changing the face of gaming (including the costs involved).

Just one other bit of information that might be of interest is that I have always had success when printing out this campany's designs in 10mm, 15mm, and 20mm scales.

- For 10mm I usually print out in at 40%, although the true conversion is 35%, the extra 5% helps the appearance on the table due to the thickness of bases on the figures.   ;)

- For 15mm I print out at the suggested 60% scale as that allows the basic 15mm 'Flames of War' bases to be based inside cottages, etc..

fred.

There are some nice designs there.

What printer do you use?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

cbr3d.com

@Fred

We now use two types, the Cel-Robox (from cel-robox.com) and the Prusa i3 (from Prusa3d.com).  I know Matt from PrintableScenery.com also uses the Prusa i3's and all the models he shows either in the kickstarter or on his site are made with them.

There are cheaper printers on the market, though I cannot personally vouch for the quality of others.  If you are considering buying a printer a good place to check out IMO is:

https://all3dp.com/best-3d-printer/

d_Guy

Hi Fig.ht,
The link in your post got truncated - this one should work:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printablescenery/time-warp-rampage-castle-europe-and-the-americas?ref=discovery

Looks like well designed stuff with lots of options and applications. Very much like the Rampage Castle components.
Now all I need do is talk my wife into buying the printer :-  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

cbr3d.com

@d Guy

Thanks for adding a link that works.  (Don't know why it got truncated?  But then again long ago I recognised that the black magic of why computers do what they do is beyong my ken.   :o )

fred.

Thanks for the links - not sure I want to get into the whole 3D printing thing. Yet. But it is intriguing.

Its also good to hear that you can just scale the model down, and it works for a smaller scale. Does this generally work, or do some models need work to scale down successfully?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

cbr3d.com

@Fred

- Matt at PrintableScenery.com is 'one of the good guys', he makes sure that the designs are scalable to 15mm  (I have not had any problems scaling down to 10mm  :) ).  But be warned not all designers out there are equal, some will design for scalability others do not.

One thing that may seem strange is that actually it is scaling up a design that can produce real problems in 3d printing.  Thankfully many printing programs take this into account and will add into the design support structures to correct such problems.

I realise that many gamers are still put off using home 3d printing, I think mainly by cost, time involved in printing, and the time involved in learning about 3d printing.  All of these are absolutely understandable, indeed we were not in the first wave of gamers to take up home 3D printing exactly for those reasons.  In the coming years though the costs of printers will undoubtedly fall (  :D ) and more and more homes will have very capable 3D printers including the homes of gamers.   ;)   

Ithoriel

Much as I like the designs I do feel the cost incurred in getting the printer, let alone the KS designs, would buy enough pre-coloured, mdf terrain to cover my dining table several times over!

Of course, if people have a need for a 3D printer for other things then this could be a nice little bonus.

I remain sceptical about the widespread use of 3D printers in the home any time soon, for industry though clearly a useful technology.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Quote from: fred. on 06 March 2017, 09:02:46 PM
Its also good to hear that you can just scale the model down, and it works for a smaller scale. Does this generally work, or do some models need work to scale down successfully?

Or up? Can I 3-D print my own 1:1 scale castle?  :-

Was watching a video the other day about a house being 3d printed in hours.

I don't think it will be long before there's a 3-D printer booth - like photo booths. Be able to pop to Max Spielmann and get you castle printed. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Quote from: Ithoriel on 06 March 2017, 11:02:19 PM
Much as I like the designs I do feel the cost incurred in getting the printer, let alone the KS designs, would buy enough pre-coloured, mdf terrain to cover my dining table several times over!

Of course, if people have a need for a 3D printer for other things then this could be a nice little bonus.

I remain sceptical about the widespread use of 3D printers in the home any time soon, for industry though clearly a useful technology.

Same here. I don't 'need' a 3d printer so the cost to buying One could as well Be used To Just Buy the stuff i would print   ;D

It's a bit like paper scenery. If You make One or two houses It's cheap, but If You start Printing lots and print big stuff You could as well use the money You spent On ink cartridges To Buy some 'proper' terrain pieces. Last refill i bought for My printer was about 90€,that should get You a few 10 mm pieces for sure!

ps: stupid auto correct when posting  on my phone always puts capital letters at random in the middle of my sentences. yay technology!

pierre the shy

Had not heard of this KS before. Interesting idea but 3D printers are not yet at the price where they are an affordable item to most households (about $1500 for an entry level printer in NZ currently).....however that doesn't seem to prevent people from supporting this one, so there must be a demand out there. Hope it goes well for them.

I was talking briefly to a couple of scenery makers trading at Valleycon here in Wellington in January. One makes laser cut stuff and the other more traditional resin based terrain but looking at 3D based printing. They both offer very nice range of stuff in 15 - 28mm scale. I asked about them scaling down to 10 or even 6mm but both reckoned that scaling down was not quite as straightforward as just reducing the size of the software templates they use which is one reason that they stick to larger scale stuff.    

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

cbr3d.com

@fsn -  There are already 3D printer booths, few and far between at the moment but they are out there.   :o

@petercooman - Agreed about the initial cost of buying a printer, but the Prusa i3 from Prusa3d.com is now only US$699 in the kit form.   And this is far above a basic entry model.

@pierre the sky - Scaling can be an issue, the ability to scale is in the hands of the designer though. 

More and more gamers are turning to 3D printing as an additional source of scenery and even figures in larger scales.  But it has not yet hit mainstream quite yet. 

Anyway, overnight the 'Ruined Chateau' stretch goal was unlocked.    :)

Next stretch goal, at NZ$60,000, is the 'Log Cabin'.

Also in the latest update (#8) a 'Ballista' was introduced as a new 'Freebie Bonus Item'.    :D

In the same update we were given a sneak preview of the prototype for the Rampage Heavy Wood Walls and Hoarding Roofs that will be included in this Kickstarter.    :)

petercooman

Quote from: Fig.ht on 07 March 2017, 10:35:39 AM

@petercooman - Agreed about the initial cost of buying a printer, but the Prusa i3 from Prusa3d.com is now only US$699 in the kit form.   And this is far above a basic entry model.

That would get me A LOT of scenery!  :D :D :D

Now seriously, i find that a prohibitive cost (my personal opinion ,YMV). Not in the sense of 'i can't afford it', but in the sense of 'i'm not buying those miniatures, i'll make something myself to get my money out of that expensive printer'

I like too many different periods/ranges/games, so would feel like i'm missing out if i would get one and start printing. especially now, since it's still a 'niche' part of the hobby.

And you just know the missus will say 'why buy those miniatures, you bought that expensive brick of a printer, print it yourself'  ;D ;D ;D ;D

cbr3d.com

Quote from: petercooman on 07 March 2017, 12:14:58 PM
That would get me A LOT of scenery!  :D :D :D

No disputing that.   :)

Quote from: petercooman on 07 March 2017, 12:14:58 PM
And you just know the missus will say 'why buy those miniatures, you bought that expensive brick of a printer, print it yourself'  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have an advantage here, the 'Boss' is as much into it as I am, therefore it has become a joint operation.   :D

(But watch this space, say around 'June' for more info.   ;)  )

cbr3d.com

Just NZ $1,211 away from unlocking the 'Log Cabin' stretch goal.

Here are 2 YouTube videos from PrintableScenery.com that may I think be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1obubO8GY

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-HwS9sAK8k